PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Water Pipe

Sacred Cow
28th February 2008, 12:35 PM
Hi,

In digging around a fence post on the boundary in order to remove it, I have scuffed a black polyethylene (I think) water pipe with the post hole shovel. It is coming from the water meter on the footpath. I have bitten into the walls of the pipe about 2.5mm deep at a couple of spots before I realised the presence of the pipe. When I flex the pipe as much as I can there are no leaks, at least, so far!

It would be very difficult to put a joint in so what are the best options, please?

Regards
Glenn

davo2310
28th February 2008, 01:03 PM
You could try a stainless steel repair clamp over it to give you peace of mind, could be either 20 or 25mm poly.

Davo

Vernonv
28th February 2008, 01:08 PM
Leave it.

If it isn't leaking, don't do anything. If it does start to leak, dig it back up and fix it then ... that's assuming that it isn't buried too deep, and/or that you will not soon be concreting over the area, or something like that.

wonderplumb
28th February 2008, 03:19 PM
You would be better off fixing it, first you will have to identify the make of the pipe, the size, go to the suppliers and get two joiners and see if they would be willing to lend you a set of crimpers and sell you a short piece of said pipe.
Cut out the affected area, put new pipe in with joiners and simply crimp!
BTW a few mobs that make the poly pipe also make push on fittings,
and the pipe has to be DEAD SQUARE when cut and spotless.
When you backfill make sure there is no rubbish in the soil that could rub on the pipe and damage it.
Enjoy!