PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Gas braided hose -water hose

Learner
19th February 2008, 08:26 PM
Help I bought a braided flexible hose from bunnings that was for gas and used it for water. It looks exactly like water hose.

It works but will it leak?

Help

help

help

http://www.aquaknect.com.au/leisure.htm

http://www.aquaknect.com.au/images/connectors.jpg

Thanks and Regards:U:D:U

memphis
19th February 2008, 08:31 PM
Help I bought a braided flexible hose from bunnings that was for gas and used it for water. It looks exactly like water hose.

Help

help

help

take it back and get a water one, water one is cheaper anyway.

Learner
19th February 2008, 08:31 PM
I have been using it for water 3 years no leak. Help please?????

Wood Butcher
20th February 2008, 08:01 AM
So you've been using it for three years and now asking if it will leak. :~

echnidna
20th February 2008, 09:28 AM
brickie in disguise?

Ashore
20th February 2008, 10:25 AM

Help

help

help

eventually :rolleyes:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th February 2008, 03:58 PM
I'm surprised it went on... as gas- and water fittings are usually spec'd with different threads to avoid that sort of thing!?

Learner
20th February 2008, 04:29 PM
I'm surprised it went on... as gas- and water fittings are usually spec'd with different threads to avoid that sort of thing!?

Exactly the same size BSP thread

wonderplumb
20th February 2008, 05:43 PM
They still use BSP threads except when connecting to bottles or cylinders.

Methinks someone is having a giggle with this one.

journeyman Mick
20th February 2008, 07:14 PM
I have been using it for water 3 years no leak. Help please?????

Learner,
why are you asking if it will leak three years after you've (illegally) installed it? You obviously decided three years ago that it would be fine, why ask for advice now? Judging from your previous posts you don't listen to advice anyway.

Mick

Toyboy
20th February 2008, 07:58 PM
I wanna see that response.:oo:

I'm with Wonderplumb on this one. I think someone is trying to take the P155.:wink:

Smurf
20th February 2008, 09:34 PM
I was told that it would be quite safe to use a water hose for gas some time ago as I couldn't get a proper gas hose at the time - and this meant 4 people and machinery standing around doing nothing on paid overtime (at double time too).

So I got the hose and connected it. It was only between a LPG regulator on a 9kg bottle and the burner so not illegal for me to connect it.

All went well but I ordered in a proper gas hose just to be sure. This is a special hose (heat resistant as a safety precaution due to the nature of the equipment it connects to) and not a standard BBQ type.

wonderplumb
21st February 2008, 05:47 AM
I was told that it would be quite safe to use a water hose for gas some time ago as I couldn't get a proper gas hose at the time -
:oo::oo::oo::no::no::no:

Dont believe everything you hear.......

Learner
21st February 2008, 09:56 AM
Well the gas braided hoses are kept in a bin close to the water hoses at bunnings. They look exactly the same and are of same lengths, diameters, thread sizes etc.

What is to stop someone mixing them up?

moto485
24th February 2008, 04:16 PM
You can use the water hose but as a short term soloution as the rubber gets eaten up by the gas. Thats why you dont use rubber with gas.

Barry_White
24th February 2008, 06:56 PM
You can use the water hose but as a short term soloution as the rubber gets eaten up by the gas. Thats why you dont use rubber with gas.

So what are the Oxy/Acet hoses and the old Primus green hoses made of they look like rubber to me.

Brickie
24th February 2008, 06:59 PM
brickie in disguise?

Durh, no.

Its a spammer, come on guys, figure it out.....:doh:

Ron Dunn
24th February 2008, 07:00 PM
Ignore the post. Learner tried a similar wind-up recently.

Smurf
24th February 2008, 11:52 PM
:oo::oo::oo::no::no::no:

Dont believe everything you hear.......
Probably just as well I only used it temporarily then...

journeyman Mick
25th February 2008, 10:26 AM
Well the gas braided hoses are kept in a bin close to the water hoses at bunnings. They look exactly the same and are of same lengths, diameters, thread sizes etc.

What is to stop someone mixing them up?

Obviously the properly licensed and qualified gasfitters and plumbers, who are the only people legally allowed to fit the respective hoses will know the difference. There are stickers/tags on each hose which identify their type and intended usage and which relevant standards they comply with. I ask again, why are you asking this question now, three years after you've fitted the hose?

Mick

Learner
25th February 2008, 11:48 AM
Obviously the properly licensed and qualified gasfitters and plumbers, who are the only people legally allowed to fit the respective hoses will know the difference. There are stickers/tags on each hose which identify their type and intended usage and which relevant standards they comply with. I ask again, why are you asking this question now, three years after you've fitted the hose?

Mick

Some of the hoses have tags missing.

That's all.

Relax, Unwind

journeyman Mick
29th February 2008, 12:12 AM
Some of the hoses have tags missing.

That's all.

Relax, Unwind

Learner,
I'm pretty relaxed thanks, don't need unwinding. Obviously if there were no tags on the hose you wouldn't buy it, but I'm willing to bet that there is some form of identification marked on the stainlesss steel braid itself. Would you care to answer my previous question: why are you asking if it will leak three years after you've (illegally) installed it? You obviously decided three years ago that it would be fine, why ask for advice now? Judging from your previous posts you don't listen to advice anyway.
And while you're answering questions, what is it that you do for a living again? Was it an electronics engineer or an auto electrician?:?

Oh, what a twisted web we weave when at first we practice to deceive.

Mick

wonderplumb
29th February 2008, 05:26 AM
Water flexi's have a blue tag on them, gas flexi's have a yellow tag.
The tags are for the most part placed in such a fashion that it takes a bit of removing, usually in the form of a "sticker-like" tag.
Tha gas one's usually have a yellow line braided into the stainless steel braid.
Its near impossible to mix them up, and to be quite honest I dont think ive ever seen them at bunnings,
ill have to have a look-see.
If they do have them they shouldnt, just like a lot of things they sell.

Learner
29th February 2008, 12:57 PM
Water flexi's have a blue tag on them, gas flexi's have a yellow tag.
The tags are for the most part placed in such a fashion that it takes a bit of removing, usually in the form of a "sticker-like" tag.
Tha gas one's usually have a yellow line braided into the stainless steel braid.
Its near impossible to mix them up, and to be quite honest I dont think ive ever seen them at bunnings,
ill have to have a look-see.

OK I will search for yellow lines. I am sure that I could not find a yellow line.

When I gave the hose to my licensed plumber he just installed it without checking for the markings.

I do not think I have done anything illegal.

Learner
29th February 2008, 03:32 PM
I sent the house to a Laboratory for inspection and it turns out to be complaint to AS3499 if anyone can tell me what that is.

hehe:D

bricks
29th February 2008, 06:11 PM

Here in adelaide, bunnies sell them for about $30 bucks. At plumbing store- $8, sucked in if you bought them from bunnings.

Spider Webb
29th February 2008, 09:16 PM
How much did it cost to send your "house" to the Laboratory??
Your keeping us in suspense Earner, what's your answer to Mick's question.
HaHa:2tsup:

weisyboy
29th February 2008, 09:23 PM
i dont get the question?

is he asking if the gas hose will leak watter after using it for 3 years with no problems?

is he asking if he can now go and use that same hose on gass and have it not leak?

is he asking if he can use a watter hose on gass and have it not leak?

is he asking if he can use a watterhose on watter and have it not leak?

or is he not even askign a question?

:?:C:?:C:?:C:?

ps you dont actualy expect us to blive you sent the hose to a lab to be tested do you?

journeyman Mick
29th February 2008, 11:19 PM
Weisyboy,
he was just asking questions to get a rise from people (trolling) and I was asking him questions trying to bait him in return. I wouldn't be suprised if nothing he asked was factual.

Mick

Groggy
29th February 2008, 11:25 PM
Weisyboy,
he was just asking questions to get a rise from people (trolling) and I was asking him questions trying to bait him in return. I wouldn't be suprised if nothing he asked was factual.

MickYa think Mick? :rolleyes::wink: I thought he was rather similar to some others over the last year who were banned too. My guess is that one of them got a new ISP and IP address and came back to stir the punters.

wonderplumb
1st March 2008, 07:01 AM
Here in adelaide, bunnies sell them for about $30 bucks. At plumbing store- $8, sucked in if you bought them from bunnings.
Its wrong being able to sell these to the average punter, they are really only meant for a fixed appliance which must be installled by a licensed gas fitter anyhow.

Fuzzie
1st March 2008, 07:35 AM
Its wrong being able to sell these to the average punter, they are really only meant for a fixed appliance which must be installled by a licensed gas fitter anyhow.

Around here I haven't seen any plumber bend copper for a final fitout. Everything seems to get connected at the wall with braided hose. Mixer taps, toilet cisterns, dishwashers,....

Flexible gas connections into sockets are allowed in Queensland including inside the house for unvented gas heaters. Flex gas hoses up to 2m are available readily from BBQ shops and probably Bunnings.

From memory the nut size are different.

wonderplumb
1st March 2008, 08:56 AM
Flexible gas connections into sockets are allowed in Queensland including inside the house for unvented gas heaters. Flex gas hoses up to 2m are available readily from BBQ shops and probably Bunnings.

From memory the nut size are different.
As they are allowed here also but they are a different type of hose, the same as the rubber ones that come with space heaters, Im referring to the stainless braided hoses.
Unfortunately a lot of people do take the easy way out using flexi's, I personally prefer to bend up a bit of copper but it depends on the pricing of the job and customer preferance.
The price between copper and flexis aswell as the time factor can either win or lose you a job.
Mixer taps come with integral flexi's, as do dish washers.
I like to use chrome tube under a vanity and using a flexi to connect a cistern is just poor!