PDA

View Full Version : type of window frame for double glazing - primex?

tamu
18th February 2008, 05:23 PM
I need to replace horrible aluminium framed windows in a 1918 edwardian. Initially was going to try to salvage appropriate windows (if I could find some that would fit!) but after freezing through last winter I want double glazing!

I don't want freshly chopped down old growth timber used for the frames so from a quick look around it seems my options are uPVC (has it's own environmental issues) or Primex, a finger jointed plantation pine sold by Canterbury windows that is supposedly as hard as a hard wood blah blah blah but they only give it a guarantee for 7 years. Does anyone know anything about this timber or have experience with these windows? Or know of any alternatives?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Ashwood
19th February 2008, 11:15 AM
I have the upvc ones which i find to be good. I don't have issues with upvc, but that's something you've got to decide for yourself.

woodbe
19th February 2008, 11:33 AM
Depends what you are willing to put up with and pay for I guess.

There's a mob up in Daylesford (I think) called Paarhammer who make really, really, good euro style frames, and have a selection of plantation timbers including Red Ironbark. Not cheap, but good.

http://www.paarhammer.com.au/

woodbe

tamu
19th February 2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

Obviously want to minimise the $$$$ but make sure I get the decision right seeing as it is so expensive (ie long lasting plus warm fuzzy for sustainable materials).

Had been going to go upvc rather than old growth until I heard about the Primex stuff, which I don't want to get without any info, will talk with Paarhammer too and get an idea of cost differences.

Cheers!