PDA

View Full Version : mixing cement for bricks

Com_VC
16th February 2008, 11:57 AM
Hi,

I've got a few bricks that I am replacing this weekend, probably about 10 or so due to cracks etc.

Anyways I need to know how to mix up the cement, colour for grout, sand, water etc. Basically the ratios.

Thanks

Luddite
16th February 2008, 01:03 PM
Hi,

You can mess around with sand:cement:lime ratios if you want, but for small amounts such as you are talking about just buy a 20kg bag of pre-mixed mortar. Not sure how much it costs, but probably $7 or $10 per bag...bargain. If you need some colour in the mortar just ask the hardware guy for some oxide; it will cost more than the mortar.
Cheers,
Anthony

Com_VC
16th February 2008, 01:19 PM
Well i've got some cement, sand and the colour here already so might as well just mix it up.

Toyboy
16th February 2008, 01:34 PM
When mixing 'mud' for brickwork, I like to add about a cupful of liquid detergent to the mix, ie; a cupful to about 2 cubic feet, which is the average home concrete mixer quantity.
This tends to give the 'mud' a creamy texture and helps it stick to your brick.
The professionals may disagree entirely with this suggestion, but it works for me. Good luck and if it stuffs up, I'm leaving town.:D

Toyboy
16th February 2008, 01:38 PM
I forgot to mention....if it does stuff up, then soak your hands in it.
It gets in, and you'll have the softest hands.:doh:

Brickie
16th February 2008, 04:16 PM
I like to add about a cupful of liquid detergent to the mix, ie; a cupful to about 2 cubic feet,

A cup full? :o
A drop maybe..:;

http://www.brickwork.net.au/Mortar.html

Toyboy
16th February 2008, 05:15 PM
Geeze.....gimme a break. I don't actually measure the stuff.:o

Now I'm embarrassed and I feel like dirt and...and...and......I feel so cheap.....and.....:B

I'm going for a little lie down to get over this.:D

Actually, you are quite correct.:; Could I redeem my dignity by saying that I REALLY meant....a capful?:doh:

Brickie
16th February 2008, 05:20 PM
Could I redeem my dignity by saying that I REALLY meant....a capful?:doh:

Of course..:roll:

The only reason I added my two bobs worth is that too much detergent/plasticiser ruins good mortar.

Toyboy
16th February 2008, 05:26 PM
Actually, I'm pleased you did respond. It would be a shame to stuff up someone's job through poor information, which I may well have done.
It is also a timely reminder to measure (no pun intended) information given.:2tsup:

I will think a little more before I offer such info.:doh:

Thanks, mate.

Errol.:)

autogenous
29th February 2008, 06:39 PM
I like to add about a cupful of liquid detergent to the mix,

Avoid aeration agents as they are not autogenous. They can also introduce contaminants which egress tot he surface later discolouring the oxide especially darker ones.

Check your oxide container for best mix. Too much oxide will weaken the mortar and some accelerate the dry rate.

My guess 1 cement, .5 lime, 5 sand. Mix dry thoroughly first then add water. Much easier.

Mix like thick toothpaste