PDA

View Full Version : Gas meter

Morr1e
12th February 2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Guys, looks like I have to give up 20cm of land to my neighbour but to do that I need to move the gas meter thingy 20cm . Any idea how much this will cost?

arjay
12th February 2008, 08:01 PM
20 cm !!!!! far out!! Sorry no nothin on costs.

DavidG
12th February 2008, 08:06 PM
Why?

Morr1e
12th February 2008, 08:19 PM
i have to give up 20cm of the land because my neighbour is building a new house and had a seveyor look at the block and the fence was put in the wrong spot. We have 20cm of his land. We were going to get a new fence anyhow. The gas meter is right on the fence.

nev25
12th February 2008, 08:30 PM
Morr1e

I see you are in the same area as me

And I assume your meter is on the fence line

What happened to me a few years ago (when we had no gas from weeks after the fire at longford gas plant)

When we where allowed to use gas again someone reported a gas leak at my meter.
The gas company (I think it was AGL) come and told me the meter shouldn't be on the fence line and they would be back the next day to move it.

They returned the next day and moved the meter to the side of the house.

So IMO it may pay for you to ring the gas authority and tell them as they may move it for nothing.

tameriska
12th February 2008, 08:43 PM
I could be wrong, but I think that I heard somewhere of "squatters rights"
Something along the lines of if the fence has been established for a requsite number of years, that counts as the boundry.
Someone else should have more knowledge about this. I could be mistaken, but it could be possibly worth looking into.

DavidG
12th February 2008, 08:49 PM
1. Get a double check on the survey. Neighbor tried to take 450mm from mum but a double check revealed the survey was wrong.

2. There is a law regards long term possession of land. Check with a solicitor.

3. You have to live with the neighbor for a long time so temper 2 above with that in mind.

Morr1e
12th February 2008, 11:39 PM
thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Nev25 - I'll ring the gas company tomorrow, great suggestion. Hope they do it :) Also, do you know a good builder in Sale? I am doing an extension on my house. Bedroom, ens, WIR, family room and outdoor entertaining area.

wonderplumb
13th February 2008, 05:28 AM
Up here the utility will normally move the in-coming pipework and the meter set, depending on who the contractor is and how he feels on the day they may move the whole lot or just move the inlet piping and tell you to call a plumber to move the rest.
200mm isnt that much, sounds like a lot of hassle to for a 8" strip of grass.