PDA

View Full Version : Do I clad or paint?

Snoozyv
3rd February 2008, 10:06 AM
Hi,
Any thoughts on this subject would be very welcome.
I own an old home, I think the style is Californian Bungalow my problem is that that the paint work on the exterior is in a bad way not only is it peeling but the previous owner had some one do a very ordinary job on the last paint job. It looks to me as if they gouged the boards with a sander (the boards are rough and burred in spots). I have thought of my options, do I get it painted and hope that these problems can be fixed or as someone suggested get it clad. I have nice original windows and wouldn't want to replace them if it was clad. I really don't know what to do. Yes I'm a novice first home owner on a limited buget so I want to do it right.

Thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

snoozy:rolleyes:

OBBob
4th February 2008, 07:41 AM
Hi There

In my opinion cladding never looks like the real thing. Maybe get a painter to come and give you a quote, then you quiz him on what are the possibilities for fixing the problem areas?

munruben
4th February 2008, 11:14 AM
My daughter was in real estate back in Sydney and strange as it may sound, cladding a house actually reduces the resale value of a home. Houses of similar size and appearance made less money on the market if they were clad. Most people think the cladding is hiding faults. A good paint job over boards that have been repaired and properly prepared will make the home look original and more appealing to the eye.

wheelinround
4th February 2008, 11:37 AM
Had our 1st place clad many years ago in opposition to John we found that it increased the sale price.
Even more so recently the same house was sold again and still looks great with the same cladding.

The type used was not the alli type but unclosed insulation inside a hard plastic kept out the cold and heat but in Green valley we needed it the fibro just didn't do diddily squat.