PDA

View Full Version : 10 Year Old Windows - Oil or Varnish or ?

ledbe
26th January 2008, 07:34 PM
Hey guys,
Just moved in to a lovelly 10 year old home with western red cedar windows throughout (and plenty of other wood/timber). See attached photo.

The windows are somewhat weathered and I believe they were oiled originally, then the previous owner also put a single coat of some clear varnish on it. This has subsequently cracked away in most places.

I'm after an opinion on clean back and oil, or clean back and ? I like the idea of a gloss finish although I have clear memories of removing layers of paint on some 50 year old windows! :)

The oil product used is feast watson exterior woodshield (natural?).
Ben

Dirty Doogie
27th January 2008, 09:11 PM
I think you are going to have to strip them back and re oil them. And every couple of years oil them again.

Clear film forming coatings like polyurethane and marine varnish will crack and flake. The only clear film finish that lasts any length of time on exterior joinery is Fiberglass. And that will go white and powdery in about 12 years.

Master Splinter
27th January 2008, 09:56 PM
Here's my suggestion for a minimum maintennance solution..

10 Year Old Windows - Oil or Varnish or ?
? = "replace with aluminium"

Other than that, oil. But even that is a pain to keep off the glass!

ledbe
28th January 2008, 07:48 AM
Oil it is! I cleaned my first set of windows today - they don't seem to be too difficult to clean back. Lots of them them though!

If anyone has any other suggestions - let me know!

Ps. aluminium has its problems too - aside from being ugly!

test123456
29th January 2008, 10:20 PM
what about senseal it? I've just got 'Stop the rot' company working on our > 100 yrs old windows and they use senseal stuff to protect the wood. They told me the windows will look brand new again when they finish :)

ledbe
31st January 2008, 07:48 AM
Thats a fair promise to keep! I'll look in to it for some of the windows that seem quite weathered. I have cleaned up and oiled one set of windows with two coats, they seem to be coming up quite nice.

Slobba
8th February 2008, 03:20 AM
i'm a Sikkens fan myself...cost $$$$ but worth every cent