PDA

View Full Version : Oiled Deck

oohsam
26th January 2008, 04:20 PM
Hey yall.
Finally got around to oiling the deck. Cleaned, Washed and Preped the deck. Was a beautiful day. forecast for a good 2 days...Put the first coat down. Built a new letterbox...
The Cabots natural decking oil is very very dark. But its ok I can live with it....

ONly issue is that i just checked the forecast, and it looks like they have changed it to a few light showers...Im a bit worried. It was a scorcher of a day and the Oil was absorbed by the merbau so quickly within 2 hours it looks completley dry...it says 18hours between coats and 8 hours to dry...Do u think if it rains it should still be ok? Its had a good 4 hours of 30 degree weather..

Cheers.

brynk
27th January 2008, 06:36 AM
she'll be right :U

be sure to post some more deck- so i can live vicariously through your trials and tribulations while i await ours to dry out for another day or two...

r's brynk

kayno
28th January 2008, 09:02 AM
i cleaned my merbau deck late yesterday morning using cabots deck wash, and waited until 4pm for it to dry and oiled it using cabots deck oil.

Im in Geelong and the temp during the drying was over 25, and was still that when I oiled it. Overnight the temp went down to 15 by 6am.

This morning the deck is still sticky. touching it leaves a small amount of oil on my finger. its been 16 hours - should it be dry by now?!? the oil says 8 hours to dry, 18 between recoat. id like to recoat around lunch time - is it ok to recoat if its sticky?

this is the second time since it was new that I have oiled it. im sure the first coat dried quickly the first time i did it....

brynk
28th January 2008, 09:22 AM
gday kayno

the stickiness indicates that the timber has not soaked the oil. i would not put another coat on just yet, because it will only be refused & you will waste that quantity of oil. i think the drying time you allowed may have been insufficient for the temperature? who knows? anyway, i would leave it all day today & then if it is still wet tonight you can wipe off the excess.

in this case, wait a few days for the deck to dry out a bit more then put another light coat on.

r's brynk

kayno
28th January 2008, 09:57 AM
the sun is out so hopefully that will help, although the pergola prevents 80% of the deck from getting direct light.

what would the disadvantages be if i only did one coat (and say another in 6 months)? i did two coats 12 months ago when I built it, and it sure looked like it needed another coat after i cleaned it yesterday - very dry. but if one coat has not completely dried, would that indicate its had enough oil for now?

the deck doubles as my two dogs home, and keeping them off it is a pain!

EDIT: waited until 3pm and it was dry, so i applied the second coat. i reckon i over oiled it on the first coat, which is why it still felt wet this morning. I used over 3 litres for the first coat (24sqm) and 2 for the second. looks great now! if only the dogs didnt kick up the dust in the backyard! if only it rained more and there was no dust!!

sorry to thread hijack!!

oohsam
28th January 2008, 10:24 PM
I dont mind the hijacking! LOL...
My first coat went on no problem. It did rain a little, but it was dry in 4 hours..the water beaded..i could walk on it no problem. The colour was dull...like the timber just absorbed the oil and looked "dry"...The second coat gave it so much colour, deep redness and shine....it dried in a few hours..it was like 30 degrees all day...Used the deck today for a bbq...color

oohsam
28th January 2008, 10:29 PM
I dont mind the hijacking! LOL...
My first coat went on no problem. It did rain a little, but it was dry in 4 hours..the water beaded..i could walk on it no problem. The colour was dull...like the timber just absorbed the oil and looked "dry"...The second coat gave it so much colour, deep redness and shine....it dried in a few hours..it was like 30 degrees all day...Used the deck today for a bbq...color is awsome. I love the cabots...

kayno
28th January 2008, 11:20 PM
post some more deck-

dodgy photo, but here you go :)