PDA

View Full Version : painting

buggerme
13th December 2003, 08:33 AM
can anyone tell/advise me on something to remove old paint from the interior wall`s . sanding disk`s and belt sander have both bound up , tried taubmans 3in 1, it peeled straight off , went to zinsers 123 bullseye ,it peeled off . old friend can over and after the laughter stopped he advised stripping back to old paint and coating it with silver frost and then prime and paint ?
what to do , i`m lost , HELP .

re do 4 u
13th December 2003, 07:51 PM
why do you want to remove the old paint???

i doubt if any sandpaper will do such a large area. if it is water based paint, metho will take off the surface, just soak a rag and rub it on. this will remove any gloss so you can undercoat. this would take a lot of effort to remove the entire coating.

buggerme
14th December 2003, 12:50 PM
i need to repaint this room but NO topcoat or undercoat will stick to it . old painter friend of ours thinks that maybe kerosene was used as a thinner when house was repainted back in 19??or more likely 18??

Sturdee
14th December 2003, 02:46 PM
Have you tried ESP ( Easy Surface Preparation) available from Bunnings etc. It allows paint to bond to any shiny surface, even glass. I used it years ago to paint over lacquered doors and the paint still holds.

Peter.

Kev Y.
15th December 2003, 07:58 AM
You could always cover the walls with "Lining paper" and then RePAINT.

Lining paper was available from most paint shops that also carried wallpaper.

A friend of mine did the once and the finish was just as good as a plaster board wall.

The only draw back is that you will have to fill and sand the joins between the sheets.

AND That is of course if you can get the adheasive to stick to your problem wall

Kev

soundman
17th December 2003, 01:05 PM
If you have spent ay time looking at what painters leave behind you will notice that even tho thay are using very agressive grits tha sand paper is usualy cloged rather than worn out.
If you want to sand be prepared to use a lot of abrasives.

Or get stuck in with a scraper. You would be surprised how effective it is.

The is a real good scraper available that uses a carbide blade (actulay a spindle moulder Knife) thats a ripper.

After you have most of the material of you may want to sand.

Eithe way if its an old place the paint will probably be well hard.

Don't forget to check for lead.

chappo
17th December 2003, 05:13 PM
I had a simular problem with the ceiling in my bathroom, kitchen and hallway the paint would not stop cracking and falling off the ceiling in great big sheets. Everytime I fixed to problem between 12 and 18mths later there I was doing it again. I eventually asked my painter mate what could be the cause and how could I fix the problem.

He tells me that my ceiling was probably done with one of those no need to prime or seal 2 coats covers everything painting systems the major paint manufacturers have been pushing for years. Anyhow he put me onto this Presol stuff from Solver Paints. It essentially melts all the layers of plaster, paint ect together and gives you a surface you can work with. Has the consistancy and look of Estapol.

I used a scrapper to get all the loose bits that wanted to come off. I then prepped with 100 grit sand paper, just to give the paint something to hold to. I bogged what need to be bogged. I then used the Prepsol , really worked a treat and is a little cheaper to boot. I then painted with my ceiling white. Been good for the 2 years.

As a bonus you won't have to go to Bunnys, its Aussie made and you will probably be served by someone who can own a drivers licence.