PDA

View Full Version : Floorboard Contraction & Borers

Geebung
21st January 2008, 01:00 PM
I had blackbutt timber floorboards laid at the end of 2003 in the renovated section of the house. After two years I noticed two things;
(1) A lot of small holes started appearing in the timber; and
(2) The floorboards seemed to be contracting as gaps started opening at the ends of boards as well as the sides.

Now, for (1) I did a bit of research and found that there is a particular borer that can remain in the timber after it has been cut and then once it has dried out they flee (pinhole borers).

Now why have I mentioned this? Well it was not long after the cracks between the floorboards started appearing that I noticed the holes in the floorboards. So I am assuming that perhaps the timber used for the flooring was not dried sufficiently prior to use.

I probably wouldn't mind so much but the fact is they have separated enough for the floor to knock when you walk upon it. Has anyone else experience their timber floor starting to separate? If you did, what did you do about it? I am thinking of calling the builder (who did the renovation) and seeing what path to take.

echnidna
21st January 2008, 02:14 PM
When winter comes the gaps are likely to closeup.

Geebung
21st January 2008, 02:42 PM

Unfortunately this didn't happen...cracks were present during winter months.

echnidna
21st January 2008, 03:08 PM
talk to your builder and see what happens

Vernonv
21st January 2008, 04:16 PM

Bob, wouldn't the gaps normally get bigger during winter i.e. less humidity:?

echnidna
21st January 2008, 04:30 PM
Its normally higher humidity in Vic in winter.

Vernonv
21st January 2008, 05:01 PM
Its normally higher humidity in Vic in winter.

Typical:rolleyes: ... all back to front down there:D.