PDA

View Full Version : How to attach Skirting to old rendered walls

AIRMAN
14th January 2008, 11:35 PM
I just had the floor tiled on one of my IP's, prior to tiling (at the tilers request) I removed the old skitings, I know need to replace them but in my experience nailing into old render doesn't work to well. The replacements are a 42x11 bullnose I was thinking Liquid Nails? Or will the not get them very flush to the walls? Would self tapping masonary screws work?

The house is 30 years old and full cavity brick with cement render and no white/thin set on the walls.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Just realised I spelt skirting wrongly

westcoast
15th January 2008, 06:27 PM
I've only ever fixed large heritage skirting and have tried a few methods. I reckon the best bet for you would be use a combination of liquid nails or plasterboard stud adhesive and nails and spaghetti.

Might be telling you to suck eggs, but put daubs of glue along the length of the skirt then hold the skirt in place. Drill thru skirt into bricks with masonry bit - you can start it off with a general purpose bit for a neater finish. Poke the spaghetti into the back of the hole and cut it flush with the face of the skirt. Bash nails in with hammer and tap below surface with a punch.

Down side is that you will have to do some filling, sanding and painting after fixing

Cheers

thesupervisor
15th January 2008, 06:35 PM
liquid nais and dowl and nail or you could hire a t nailer (air compresser driven shoots straight into walls)

Make it work
22nd January 2008, 11:44 PM
There is a screw that works like a self tapper into masonry. They are available in 2 guages and various lengths and in hex head or countersunk. Powers Fasteners market theirs as Tappers and you should be able to get them from just about any fastener shop or hardware. If I am not mistaken they come in packs of 100 and include the correct size drill bit in the pack.

Edit, the screws are bright blue if it makes any difference.

Cliff Rogers
23rd January 2008, 10:30 AM
My skirting boards are painted so this method my not suit as it leaves a hole to be filled & covered.

I tried concrete nails on mine & made a mess of it.

I eventually finished it by cutting & fittting the skirting board, marking it, predrilling the board with a 5mm drill.
Then I held it in place & drilled through the holes with a 5mm masonary bit, vacuumed up the dust, applied 'no more nails' to the board, put it back in place & pushed white rawl plugs through the holes.
I started a self counter sinking buglehead screw in the rawl plug & then give it a couple of taps to drive the plug further into the wall so the screw can sink into the board.
Then drove the screws home with my battery drill & covered the hole with a bit of filler. :2tsup: