PDA

View Full Version : Deck by Dazzler - Steel'n'Wood

dazzler
13th January 2008, 09:19 PM
Hey

Start out tomorrow on a small deck for the pool area.

Size is 4.03m x 3m with a funny angle at the back. It will sit 450mm off the ground and will incorporate an extension off the front for the pool blanket roller to attach to.

Bearers, joists and posts will all be Gal Steel.

Merbau decking held down with these (tek screw instead of the securing nail)

http://www.deck.com.au/pages/HowItWorksAnimationFrameset.html

Have started a basic sketchup drawing and will hopefully have sorted out the dimensions/spacings etc for the steel bearers and joists shortly.

Will also try and have a play with sketchup and add in the bearers/joists and posts as a learning excercise.

Toying with adding a steel framed roof with colourbond that is supported by just 2 large posts on each end and sitting at an angle just off 90deg (I will try and draw it :rolleyes:)

Photos of build to come :D.

Any tips to make my search for steel sizes easier much appreciated. :)

cheers

dazzler

echnidna
13th January 2008, 09:38 PM
Some steel info here (http://www.structuraldesigns.com.au/FAQs/Steel/Using%20Steel%20Joists%20and%20bearers%20to%20support%20your%20pergola.htm)

dazzler
13th January 2008, 10:55 PM
Some steel info here (http://www.structuraldesigns.com.au/FAQs/Steel/Using%20Steel%20Joists%20and%20bearers%20to%20support%20your%20pergola.htm)

Cheers Bob :2tsup:

dazzler
6th February 2008, 05:46 PM
Mr Slacko (me) just ordered the steel.

How am I going to join the timber decking to the steel joists :?.

I have searched n searched and am now more confused than ever. :(

cheers

dazzler

dazzler
6th February 2008, 08:36 PM
Perhaps these might work

http://www.ipeclip.com/?gclid=CJ-8ndagr5ECFROYiQodan6XZA

or these if you screwed from the side instead of nailing

http://www.deck.com.au/pages/HowItWorksFrameset.html

dazzler
2nd March 2008, 04:09 PM
Hi

Well I was about to order the steel when i went for one last check of the layout and realised that the pool blanket roller would cover the filter box restricting access to remove leaves etc. So decided to put the pool blanket at the other end of the pool and stick with a standard deck at that end. This meant that i no longer needed steel construction and instead have gone to treated pine :rolleyes: (god I hate pine).

Materials used are

190 x 45 H2 Treated Pine for the surrounds (kinda bearers as the joists secure to them)

140 x 45 H2 Treated Pine for the joists

90 x 90 H3 Treated Pine for the outside posts

Steel gal stirrups for the middle supports

Building Process

Set out the front (closest to pool) bearer first with posts at each end rapid set in. I dig the posts down until I go :( and need a drink, about 600mm.

Ran a string line from each end of the bearer and used this to make sure the board was dead straight and drove a peg in to keep it straight while the middle post concrete set.

My mate pythag was over and he helped work out the placement of the third post so that it was square, what a guy. secured the bearer from the front bearer post and then concreted it in. Then put the fourth post in before pythag left so I knew it was dead square. Finally put the fourth bearer (the one at a funny angle) on and left it overnight to cure.

Next day secured the joists to the bearers using joist hangers and a gal screw (bugle??) in the top of each. These span 3900mm and i have put a gal stirrup post under the middle of each of these with concrete footings. (kids got to finish the concrete off for me :rolleyes:) Each joist finishes 21mm down from the top edge of the bearer so that the 19mm flooring with finish just shy, 2mm, of the bearer top.

Put in noggins, are floor noggins called noggins, i wonder if its cause you hit your noggin on them when you sneak through walls, and these really tightened the structure up.

Next up is to stain the lot with some merbau stain before the flooring goes down.

There are a few funny little corners that were a bit difficult to attach the boards as can be seen in the photos. I am positive the deck bible shows I have done some things wrong but seeing as it can fall a whole 100mm I dont think it will make the 6 oclock news if she falls down.

A few pointers on how it should have been down appreciated anyway :D

dazzler
3rd March 2008, 12:22 PM
This is how it came up after a coat of stain,

1lt of feast watson merbau decking stain and 50ml feast watson prooftint mahogany.

Originally was going to go with a suggestion for the mix from another thread but couldnt get the second mixer so went on the advice of the paint person. Looks a little red at the moment but will see how it goes with the decking.

Waldo
3rd March 2008, 12:28 PM
A current deck build in progress of mine has me watching others :2tsup: Dazzler. But strewth, a pool with a perv available from the street. :o

I'll be interested as to how the Merbau stain goes on the t/pine, as I'd like to hide what t/pine is in sight on my deck (rafters in pergola)

dazzler
7th March 2008, 04:39 PM
Almost finished,

Got the boards done last night nailing at each end and the middle to line them up, just needed to put in the rest of the nails today. Ran a string line to get them lined up and pre drilled;

Then a light sand with the random orbital sander with 180 grit,

Finally oiled with Sceneys weatherproof timber and decking oil (linseed and alkyd resin mix).

There is a lot of debate about finishes for balau timber and in the end I went with what I have good experiences with which is this stuff. I love oil, dont like anything 'poly' so to speak. Will see how it goes.

Not happy with the finish on the surrounds which look a little bit mission brownish so will probably sand them back and try again with a lighter shade.