PDA

View Full Version : Best Nail/Screw for decking?

Waldo
11th January 2008, 09:37 PM
G'day,

Yeah I know, do a search - well I have for the last hour.

There was a discussion a while back now on the best nail/screw to use in decking and when I read it I knew that I should've bookmarked it - because now I need it :doh:

All I remember is that the advice was that it should be predrilled with a whatcha callit bit so that it has a 4.5mm pilot hole to allow for the shank. Thread also had a pic showing specific nail/screw. :shrug: Is that clear as mud? :U Hoping my attempt to describe the specific thread will ring a bell with one of you lot.

The decking will be merbu.

Burnsy
11th January 2008, 09:43 PM
The screws (304 stainless) I use are made by Powers and are 53mm 9g Type 17 Timberdecks with a square drive head - each box of 250 comes with a bit. The drill and countersink in one bit is a 1/8 size made by Snappy.

For nails I use a 52mm stainless screw shank plastic collated.

Recommend both.

Waldo
11th January 2008, 09:48 PM
G'day Burnsy,

The screw you've described sounds dead on to what I remeber reading. :2tsup:

Now to go down to Coventry Fasteners and see if they stock them.

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 09:50 PM
Post 30 and 31 of this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=47415&page=3) might be what you're looking for Waldo

Waldo
11th January 2008, 09:56 PM
G'day Dj, post 30 and 31 are talking about ways of spacing between boards :?

Burnsy
11th January 2008, 09:59 PM
If you can't find them at Coventrys, look for a Carpentry supplier, they should have them in stock, find out where your local chippies get their nails and other fasteners from, it is likely to be some little shop you have never heard of that you wish you new about years ago.

DJ’s Timber
11th January 2008, 10:06 PM
G'day Dj, post 30 and 31 are talking about ways of spacing between boards :?

Whoops, teach me to do something else while doing this :doh:. try it now :2tsup:

Waldo
11th January 2008, 10:12 PM
Whoops, teach me to do something else while doing this :doh:. try it now :2tsup:

Thanks Dj. :U SWMBO always says blokes can't do two things at once, maybe she's right :D, the other bloke you just replied to must be wondering why you've written about screws. That info will see me right. :2tsup: Thanks too Burnsy :2tsup:, reackon Coventry would have it, but you never know so it's good advice.

Burnsy
11th January 2008, 10:18 PM
No worries Waldo, just for comparison sake, I pay around $155 per 1000 for the Powers brand, boxes of 250 so that includes four drivers. The 9 gauge Powers have a real small head that looks neat, big difference between them and the others I have seen.

Waldo
11th January 2008, 10:24 PM
Thanks Burnsy, I was just wondering about what sort of $ they'd cost.

Tomorrow I'm sitting down to work out timber and lengths etc. and sundry items (have to appease SWMBO with a what-it-might-cost-thing)

Connollys
11th January 2008, 11:23 PM
Hi mate. we have them in stock, in boxes of 500 or a 1000. The ones we stock have a slightly larger head than the powers ones. We are open 7 days a week, so if we can help, we are at 148 Gaffney St Coburg.

Cheers Craig :2tsup:

www.connollys.com.au

Waldo
11th January 2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks Craig, if Coventry (5 mins down the road) don't have them I'll look you up.

Loki429
12th January 2008, 08:14 AM
Have a read through this thread too - there's lots of discussion about pilot hole size, screw types, and some photos.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=56136&page=3

Waldo
12th January 2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks Loki429, that's the exact thread I was after.