PDA

View Full Version : Odd ? - Decking and Pool Table

beamo
4th January 2008, 03:59 PM
Hi All,

The idea
To put a pool table on wheels so that it can be moved from a weatherproof deck/pergola to indoors when wanted.

The background
I have just completed building a deck and pergola (weatherproof) off our main meals area. Both areas are similar in size (about 7m wide x 4m deep).

The areas are joined by bifolding doors (3.8m wide).

My initial idea was to create a dining table on wheels that can be moved between the areas easily depending on where we choose to eat.

And then it hit me (for a brief moment I honestly felt like Tim Allen from Home Improvement) - what if I could put a pool table on wheels (which had a dining table top) and move that between the areas instead!

The deck is built on 90x90 bearers, 140x45 joists and 90x19 merbau on top.

My questions
1. is it asking too much of a deck to support a 400kg pool table + people and to be able to move the table around from time to time?
2. any views on whether a pool table on wheels is a reasonable thing to try?

brynk
4th January 2008, 10:48 PM
gday beamo

what are the dimensions of your pool table?

r's brynk

echnidna
5th January 2008, 11:15 AM
If its a slate bed pool table I wouldn't do it as you run the risk of cracking it.
If its manmade board, no problems

beamo
6th January 2008, 09:24 AM
gday beamo

what are the dimensions of your pool table?

r's brynk

-------------------------------------------

Looking at getting an 8x4.

brynk
7th January 2008, 08:09 AM
aside from issues raised about the slate by echnidna, i think you would need hardwood decking boards constructed with joist spans no greater than 300, but i would even be inclined to go 200, because you will have point loads being applied from the wheels as you roll the table around.

not sure what the table weighs ... say 1000kg? i think if you took a standard construction with these closed-in joist spacings it would probably be sufficient. if i were to build it i would be inclined to use unseasoned hardwood bearers & posts (say, 75% of maximum span) and because of the additional number of joists i would be inclined to use treated pine - even though unseasoned hardwood can be more economical & i have a penchant for it :U - you need to close the span of the decking up so it doesn't deflect (bend) under load; this will be a mitigating factor in your design process.

r's brynk