PDA

View Full Version : Fitting hinges to external gates (options)

Sir Stinkalot
29th December 2007, 02:39 PM
Ok .... hinges and I don't go together well so I have come here for advice. I have done a search but haven't really found anything. The project these holidays is to fit some external gates to the side of the house.

The idea is to use the structure inside the garage to support the gate. I was planning on bolting either a timber or steel post through the external cladding to the internal shs and mounting the gate off this.

I would like to have timber running horizontally along the gate front, and if possible carry this through to the support post attached to the garage. With that in mind I am guessing that the front face of the gate needs to be in line with the support.

The problem comes with hinge selection. From looking at an old gate that I am replacing the hinge is the ball bearing hinge mounted flat on the back of the gate and support post (option 2 attached). To make this work the support post would need to be the same thickness as the gate frame (I dont know if this will be a problem).

Ok so the real question is what hinges would be most suitable and how do I go about mounting them to the gate and support post? If possible I would like some links to the appropriate hinges so I can work out what to buy. The gate will be 1800h x 1260w, steel frame with horizontal timber cladding.

Ohh one more quick one ..... is there an easy way to drill all the way through square hollow section so that the bolt comes through straight? I allways find tht after drilling through the first side the drill bit moves up/down/sideways before stating the drill the second side, thus the holes are no longer in line.

Thanks.

Brickie
29th December 2007, 03:17 PM
I would use the second picture, it allows the gate to fully open.

Nice drawings BTW....:D

DJ’s Timber
29th December 2007, 03:29 PM
:whs: and if possible, get them welded on. If you're getting the gate frame made, they can weld the hinges on the post and frame at the same time, which means you need to be careful with your measurements when ordering it

wheelinround
29th December 2007, 03:42 PM
Ok .... hinges and I don't go together well so I have come here for advice. I have done a search but haven't really found anything. The project these holidays is to fit some external gates to the side of the house.

The idea is to use the structure inside the garage to support the gate. I was planning on bolting either a timber or steel post through the external cladding to the internal shs and mounting the gate off this. This great if the garage is attached to the house you may hear it evey time its opened closed and rattled.

I would like to have timber running horizontally along the gate front, and if possible carry this through to the support post attached to the garage. With that in mind I am guessing that the front face of the gate needs to be in line with the support.

The problem comes with hinge selection. From looking at an old gate that I am replacing the hinge is the ball bearing hinge mounted flat on the back of the gate and support post (option 2 attached). To make this work the support post would need to be the same thickness as the gate frame (I dont know if this will be a problem).

Can you reuse the old hinges

Ok so the real question is what hinges would be most suitable and how do I go about mounting them to the gate and support post? If possible I would like some links to the appropriate hinges so I can work out what to buy. The gate will be 1800h x 1260w, steel frame with horizontal timber cladding.

Ypu can weld the hinges to the gate or bolt them to make sure the holes are level try putting a small spirit level on the drill or square the rest is line of sight.

Thats one heavy steel gate you may need to have a dolly wheel

Ohh one more quick one ..... is there an easy way to drill all the way through square hollow section so that the bolt comes through straight? I allways find tht after drilling through the first side the drill bit moves up/down/sideways before stating the drill the second side, thus the holes are no longer in line.

When you drill through dont try drill the other post straight away reset yourself and drill see above.

Thanks.

Ray