PDA

View Full Version : Masonry Nails

DvdHntr
20th December 2007, 10:25 AM
I need to attach a metal strap into some brickwork and I thought I should use masonry nails. My question is do you just hammer them in or do you predrill and are they even usable with brickwork?

pawnhead
20th December 2007, 10:46 AM
If they're dry pressed bricks then you should be able to drive a masonry nail into them, but if they're extruded bricks (the ones with holes in them) it may be a problem. They're much harder and more brittle, and they may actually shatter into pieces if you don't locate a mortar joint to drive your nail into. I don't have a lot of faith in their holding power either, although I have fixed skirting with them before but I used max bond on it as well. Quicker than drilling and using spaghetti, but if I were just fixing metal strapping, then I'd use a nylon anchor (http://www.loyal-roth.com/Poly_Liner5.JPG).

Use masonry bit same diameter as anchor (with a hammer drill - available at most rental shops), and drill holes into cement (holes in poly only should be drilled 1/8" oversize). Drill holes 1/4" deeper than anchor, since dust tends to go back into holes. Insert nylon anchor body in hole and tap gently until head of anchor body is set tightly against polyethylene (dip anchor body in liquid soap first to make job easier). With several sharp hammer blows, drive nail into nylon anchor body to expand. The slotted nail head provides for removal of threaded nail and anchor.I used to fix ducted metal skirting, and suspended ceilings, and I went through boxes of them. You should be able to buy them singly, or in small packets from a decent hardware.

DvdHntr
20th December 2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info. The nail is only going to get shear and not pull out loads but I will look into nylon anchors as the bricks may shatter. That was what I thought but best to check with people that have seen it before.