PDA

View Full Version : this is not a deck

johnmurrell
17th December 2007, 02:21 PM
now this is a sad looking deck, can't tell what timber it is, the stain was put down by the builder about four years ago, in many places it has worn through to show grey timber

johnmurrell
17th December 2007, 02:31 PM
after cleaning & brightening this is what I found underneath - why would anyone want to hide this beautiful timber under all that stain?

the oiling got rained on/out, so I will finish it later this week and post pics of the final product.

Bleedin Thumb
17th December 2007, 03:53 PM
Mate I recon it looks better stained because of the uniformity of colour.

Maybe the builder thought the same?

aussiecolector
17th December 2007, 08:40 PM
I rather look at the wood the way God made it, than a stain that you can't see through.
Nice job, What Oil are you using?

johnmurrell
18th December 2007, 01:39 PM
Hi Bleedin - yes the builder probably wanted a uniform colour; but I think why bother with timber if you want uniform - I like the imperfect and variation of the natural. The owners are ecstatic - the most important point!!!

Hi Collector - I have used Cellavit (one coat of Industrial Clear followed wet on wet with a coat of Deck Oil, then another coat of Deck Oil the next day); unfortunately play got rained out so not yet finished. The owners like the idea of the long term protection that the Cellavit provides and are prepared to have it brightened and recoated yearly if need be.

Now, if only the drought would continue just a bit longer :wink:

pawnhead
18th December 2007, 07:24 PM
I was going to clear finish it, then I wouldn't be buying mixed hardwood. If it were my deck I'd be putting a light stain on it and I'd be applying extra coats to the lighter pieces. You'd still see the beauty of natural timber through it.

It's a matter of taste of course.