PDA

View Full Version : Staircase Handrail

Metung
14th December 2007, 10:30 AM
Pretty trivial question but I thought I may as well do it the right way, if there is one. I've got a 15 step straight staircase, 3 footlights on the left hand side going up and a picture window half way up, also on the left hand side. I was wondering what would be the best side to fix the handrail (plenty of timber both sides for the fixing). I have a preference for the right hand side going up, my reasoning being that the handrail is more useful going down and I have an inclination to use my left hand. That would also mean that the lights would be on the opposite side which would make them a little more effective as well as the window. Any thoughts (other than this guy must be joking)? Thanks.

Eli
14th December 2007, 10:34 AM
Seems like circumstance and preference would dictate placing it on the right hand side. I can't think of a good reason why not to, maybe someone else has a reason.

Pusser
14th December 2007, 03:44 PM
Your reasoning is good but what about others in the family. Are they molly dookers as well?

If you have sourced decent handrail supports I would not mind knowing the brand and source. i have had trouble sourcing them except from a NZ manufacturer with no ourlets I can find in Australia.

Metung
14th December 2007, 04:47 PM
I had the staircase made and the handrail and supports were included. I was looking at them just the other day and thought how well they would do the job - nice and solid and unobtrusive. The name of the manufacturer is on the box but unfortunately I can't remember it. I'm heading back down to the job on Monday and won't be back till next Thursday. Can it wait until then and I could even include a pic.?

Pusser
15th December 2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks. Look forward to the info and picture. I hope to be able to defer the task until post new Year so time is not an issue. All the best.

Metung
21st December 2007, 11:02 AM
Pusser, the handrail supports came from Matco Handrails, 50 Belgrave Hallam Road, Belgrave, 3160 - Ph 0397542810.