PDA

View Full Version : New Deck questions

Bunningsaddict
13th December 2007, 09:22 PM
Gday all,

I'm in the process of planning for a new deck and I have some questions.....

1. I've found these online and I quite like the look of them (http://www.thedeckking.com.au/products/concealed-fixings/). Are they alright or are they useless?

2. I'm building it in over an old garden "pit" which is 6 sq metres and probably a metre deep. Is there any legal or practical reason to maintain access to the pit??

3. Do I need to use treated pine Joists or can I get away with structural pine?

4. Can I use Merbau from bunnings but upside down so that the smooth face is showing.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

addo
13th December 2007, 10:10 PM
Is there any legal or practical reason to maintain access to the pit??
Yep! Old Murphy. :wink: You'll drop something in there, guaranteed. What about tacking a layer of flyscreen or heavy shadecloth over the joists before decking it?

Looks like those concealed fixings need a biscuiting tool. Got one? Some boards will still have to be nailed or screwed at the end of a run. I'm old school and like either twist shank nails or countersunk screws (which need predrilling/countersinking for best results). You really need to drill merbau for best nailing, too.

Decking is made to be used either way up. Some people think the joists shouldn't have all the fun, so they put the ribbed side upwards. Im more prudish, and lay it smooth side up...

For any timber that's exposed - that includes deck frame members - you need a timber that's rated for durability. Untreated pine certainly doesn't fit that bill.

Regards, Adam.

Bunningsaddict
13th December 2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks Adam,

Yeah I have a biscuiting tool - I was thinking that at the ends I will just cut the "thingy" in half so that I have end peices.

Good idea on the netting - I like it.

Appreciate the help mate

Andrew

woodcutta
13th December 2007, 11:46 PM
4. Can I use Merbau from bunnings but upside down so that the smooth face is showing.

The smooth side up is the right way. The reeding up is upside down

woodcutta

markr
17th December 2007, 08:22 PM
Hi Andrew

I have just completed a deck 6.75 x 3.25, took a hell of a long time to do but I like the look of no naills.

Have a look at http://www.nonaildecking.com/home, he sells a diffrent kind and also has the timber decking with a slot in it already which would make the job a whole lot easier. He also selles the "Bowrench" a must have tool to make tight joints and to make your life so much eaiser when you get a bowed board.

Regards

Mark