PDA

View Full Version : Deck seating

Chumley
11th December 2007, 11:21 AM
Hi all,

Need some advice on my gazebo (is a sort of deck:D).

I'm building in 5 sides with some slatted seats, fixed as per the pics. I'm a bit concerned about the seat supports - trying to juggle having the supports close enough to each other to stop the seat being bouncy and close enough to the edges to stop the end of each slat bouncing. I was in a bit of a hurry with pics, so you need to imaging the slats are cut at 60 deg each end to meet with a small gap.

In the pic I have 3 supports, at 500mm centres - is this too wide? Should I make it 4 supports? Should I angle the outside supports to match the slats so that the overhang of each slat is the same?

As always, all advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Adam

Bleedin Thumb
11th December 2007, 01:53 PM
Why don't you run a support where the slats join? If I'm seeing it right you will need to cut the wall angle out of the end of the support batten and end of the strut.

silentC
11th December 2007, 02:05 PM
I don't see any problem with what you've shown. Unless you know people who suffer from Steatopygia the very back slat is not going to have much if any weight on it, and even less so in that corner.

If it was a joist or bearer, you can cantilever past the last support by up to 25% of the single span width :)