PDA

View Full Version : Brick cracking advice

dubsy
6th December 2007, 08:01 PM
Hi guys

I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me some tips on how to proceed with this crack. I'm intending to get someone to look at this as it's concerning me. It has gotten progressively worse this year - I think it must have began when the previous owners installed an air con.

Can anyone recommend someone in Melbourne that could look at this? The house is a 1930s double brick.

Cheers

Kieran

Barry_White
6th December 2007, 08:08 PM
I would be thinking it would be more to do with soil movement rather than the air conditioning installation. Especially if you have reactive soil like black soil or clay with wet or dry weather.

You may need some underpinning.

Brickie
6th December 2007, 09:05 PM
Its the drought drying out and shrinking the soil.

My take on the situation (http://www.brickwork.net.au/Cracks_in_brickwork.html), but dont trust me, Im just a brickie.:rolleyes:

dubsy
6th December 2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate it. I live in Brunswick where we have a bit of clay in the soil - no doubt that is making things worse!!

Planned LScape
6th December 2007, 09:24 PM
Apparently this is more than a common problem the last few years with Melbourne's older houses, with the drought shrinking soil around house foundations and allowing movement