PDA

View Full Version : Small Besser Block retaining wall

Art Martin
6th December 2007, 03:01 PM
HI,

I am after a few recommendations, and am getting mixed advice.

I'm building a small retaining wall. 600mm, and another section 900mm.

Some people are recommending I use the "H" grey besser blocks, and others are recommending I use the full standard blocks. I'm under the impression that the advantages of H blocks above the first row is to allow room for horizontal reinforcement, and also to more easily fill the cores with concrete. I'd say they'd be significantly lighter, but at the same time, they are more expensive. Or should I simply use the standard blocks they sell everywhere? I figure it's a bit harder to fill the cores though.

Any advice?

Bleedin Thumb
6th December 2007, 06:05 PM
What is a standard block?

addo
6th December 2007, 06:57 PM
190×190×390, closed faces and ends, centre internal divider and two tapered square bores either side.

Or have I missed a joke (as usual!)?

Cheers, Adam.

Brickie
6th December 2007, 07:18 PM
190×190×390, closed faces and ends, centre internal divider and two tapered square bores either side.

All the retainers and block jobs Ive worked on use this type of block if they are to be filled with concrete.

The notch in the top is there to take a rio bar to add to the strength.

journeyman Mick
6th December 2007, 11:37 PM
Standard blocks will work fine, but use "knock outs" for the top course. You knock out all the dividing webs to half their height so you can lay your horizontal reo and still get good cover.

Mick (living in besser block country)

Art Martin
10th December 2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated.