PDA

View Full Version : Building a hardwood door for my shed.

obee60
20th November 2007, 06:23 PM
Hi people,
I need help with how to build a hardwood door for the timber shed I'm building in my back yard.
I've just finished rough planing a number of 80x40mm hardwood planks that I had lying around and now need help with the best way to turn them into a very solid door. End measurements will be 2m high x 900mm wide.

Cheers......obee

obee60
21st November 2007, 07:54 AM
Come on people......help me out here.
I'm a welder, not a chippy - so I need help !!

I've built a shed using treated pine posts and rail frame, cladded it with treated pine 20mm boards and I want to make a decent hardwood door so it doesn't look like one big piece of treated pine.
The shed started out to be a chook house/yard, but I decided it would be better suited as a place to store all my gardening gear = ride on mower, shovels etc in one end and firewood in the other end. It's pretty big at 15metres long x 5 metres wide.

Barry_White
21st November 2007, 08:24 AM
Obee60

I would just make a rail type door with braces and screw the boards onto the rails and braces like the pic.

Pusser
21st November 2007, 08:28 AM
Sorry, never built one butn here is a link for one type

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/shed_door_install_4_06.html

Might not suit but will give you an idea until the knowledgeable come on line.

boban
21st November 2007, 09:19 AM
OK mate, you should be looking to build it as a frame and panel. At least two or three panels.

Start with the length of the door. Prepare two long lengths (standard length is 2040).

Then prepare the cross members, remembering that you will need long tenons. I would be allowing 60mm. That would make them (900-160+120=) 860mm

You will also need to route out a groove to accept the panel. Remember the panel should not be tight, but loose so as to allow it to expand and contract at will.

The only problem with your timber is that it will be difficult to put a standard door handle on as the minimum setback for a latch is 60mm. You can use other types of locks however to get around this.

obee60
21st November 2007, 09:21 AM
Thanks Bazza, pusser and boban.
I'll see how I go and maybe post a couple of pics when finished.
Cheers.....obee

Pusser
21st November 2007, 02:24 PM
here is a good article on an exterior door. Stable but interesting - especially about painting the joints.

http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/article.asp?UAN=46&SP=&v=1

obee60
21st November 2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks Pusser,
Not sure I'll tackle a stable door just yet, but it was an interesting article.

obee.