PDA

View Full Version : block rates

oneatatime
31st October 2007, 07:29 PM
gday all,

I have landed a job laying a few blocks. I have been out of the game for near on six years and dont know what rate to charge. Yeah i know, six years, why come back. It must be in the blood because i miss it.

The blocks are standard besser blocks (grey)
390Lx150Wx190H and
390Lx140Wx90H these ones are are a solid block same shap as pressed brick.

Can anyone help me out here.

Cheers Dave

brickman
31st October 2007, 10:11 PM
the going rate for these parts is about $ 2.50 + gst or $ 2.75 inc.for any block in the 150 series maybe a bit more if struck both sides , hope this helps , regards

oneatatime
1st November 2007, 07:19 PM
Good one Brickman, That sounds about right. I have thousands of them to lay. I have 60 units over three levels. Do you know how much the rate increases per level. I have only done up to double story height and that was always an agreed price with builder. I think back then (6 years ago) it was 850 top and bottom plus extras for bricks. Blocks, im unsure of.
Thanks for your help
Cheers Dave

brickman
1st November 2007, 08:56 PM
Always negotiable 2 storeys and up I tend to either get them to provide erected scaffolding and hoist the bricks up for me or go a higher rate over the whole project , u really shouldnt go wrong with that amount , still beats the poor hourly rate an unlicensed trade receives , cheers

Brickie
7th November 2007, 05:08 PM
The blocks are standard besser blocks (grey)
390Lx150Wx190H

$4. each for those size blocks.

brickman
7th November 2007, 07:24 PM
So you tell me that when you lay an average footing of 400 blocks in one day by yourself you just politely tell them " that will be $ 1600 bucks thanks " . These doctors and lawyers who wasted their time at uni , must be kicking themselves.

echnidna
7th November 2007, 07:28 PM
I know a lawyer who'd rather be a concretor

peter_sm
7th November 2007, 08:42 PM
Like a lot of things. It depends on quality of craftsmanship, number of tradespeople available and desirability for people to have it done.

brickman
7th November 2007, 10:42 PM
I guess the worlds best bricklayer could probably justify 40 percent more than what I a mere mortal could.

ss_11000
7th November 2007, 11:25 PM
he must be good if he's the worlds best:rolleyes::2tsup:

pawnhead
8th November 2007, 04:05 AM
He wouldn't be our old mate Al, AKA ozwinner, travelling incognito now would he? :D

I thought he was the 'worlds best'.

Cheers
JC.
Yep, same initials, and he was a chippy as well,
but I'm still the best. :wink:

PS. I recall that the Beatles got in some hot water (http://oldies.about.com/od/oldieshistory/a/beatlesjesus.htm) for saying something like that. :oo:

Brickie
8th November 2007, 06:16 AM
So you tell me that when you lay an average footing of 400 blocks in one day by yourself you just politely tell them " that will be $ 1600 bucks thanks " . These doctors and lawyers who wasted their time at uni , must be kicking themselves.

Why not?
If you give them a price to lay and you can lay them quickly its your gain.

I average $1000 per day with just me and a labourer. :2tsup:

echnidna
8th November 2007, 12:20 PM
Don't forget a brickie can't work when it rains
but doctors and lawyers keep working on wet days.

More power to the tradesman

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2007, 01:58 PM
..I average $1000 per day with just me and a labourer. :2tsup:
So the $4/block is for you & your mud monkey?

pawnhead
8th November 2007, 02:34 PM
I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a straightforward job for that rate. It may involve carting the blocks some distance, a bit of scaffolding, and corners everywhere, maybe cutting and installing reo as well.
I don't think you'd get that rate for a straight wall with the blocks delivered right next to it.

journeyman Mick
8th November 2007, 02:44 PM
AFAIK around here the rate for straight forward blockwork is around $3 per block, but that was a little while back.

Mick

Brickie
8th November 2007, 06:09 PM
I guess the worlds best bricklayer could probably justify 40 percent more than what I a mere mortal could.

$4 per block is the going rate in Melbourne, time to emigrate brickman? :U

So the $4/block is for you & your mud monkey?

Correct, all gear supplied except scaffold over first floor height its the builders responsibility for the high scaffold, hoists etc, I like my feet on the ground. :U

Plus gst of course. :roll:

brickman
8th November 2007, 06:40 PM
Think I will stay in Tassie as part of a tax minimisation scheme , besides the most time I have spent travelling to work in the last 10 years would be 20 minutes a day.

Brickie
8th November 2007, 07:13 PM
Think I will stay in Tassie as part of a tax minimisation scheme ,

I suppose? :? If you dont earn it you dont pay it? :?

besides the most time I have spent travelling to work in the last 10 years would be 20 minutes a day.

At the moment I travel 10 minutes to work, all the work is right here on my door step, you have to love the new estates.
When it gets within 5 minutes we'll sell up and move further out, I hate the new estates. :p

journeyman Mick
8th November 2007, 09:34 PM
............At the moment I travel 10 minutes to work, all the work is right here on my door step, you have to love the new estates.
When it gets within 5 minutes we'll sell up and move further out, I hate the new estates. :p

Of course, the new estates will just follow you out to where ever you move to.:doh:

Mick

brickman
8th November 2007, 10:22 PM
I think I might have said " In the last 10 years " which also meant not moving house , youre kids must love changing schools but I suppose when you earn $200,000 a year they would board at an exclusive private school. Brickman - Australias cheapest brickie

Cliff Rogers
8th November 2007, 10:38 PM
Hey Brickie, have you still got kids at school? :?

Brickie
9th November 2007, 11:38 AM
Hey Brickie, have you still got kids at school? :?

Nahh.

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2007, 02:10 PM
Thought that may be the case. :D
Now, do you think you would work 200 days a year? :rolleyes:

echnidna
9th November 2007, 05:36 PM
what for, he only needs ter work one day a fortnight :D:D:D:D

Brickie
9th November 2007, 05:44 PM
How come youve got over 10000 posts Wombat? :?

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2007, 05:51 PM
How come youve got over 10000 posts Wombat? :?
He never shuts up.... :D scilentc has cracked it too... same reason. :p

brickman
9th November 2007, 07:58 PM
Me and the apprentice laid 450 2001 blocks in 8 hours today , cold stqrt (first day on job , eg. not loaded up ), stripped boxing and cut all steel reo and placed it . Just told to come and do it , no price given , will charge $3.00 per block . This gives me $ 1350 inc. for the day , according to the worlds greatest bricklayer this isnt enough., but if I asked the bloke who serves me petrol , or the girl who works at Woolworths if this compares to there hourly rate what do u think there reply would be . I thought the homeless people u cant avoid seeing on the streets in Melbourne were down on there luck but now I realise they are just low income earners who cant afford the going tradesmans rates for a house.

Brickie
9th November 2007, 08:13 PM
Me and the apprentice laid 450 2001 blocks in 8 hours today. This gives me $ 1350 inc. for the day ,

according to the worlds greatest bricklayer this isnt enough.,

Where did I say that? $1350 is good.

but if I asked the bloke who serves me petrol , or the girl who works at Woolworths if this compares to there hourly rate what do u think there reply would be

Who cares what the rest of the world is earning? They dont care about you.

I dont care about the homeless, they dont care about me.

People do certain things and do certain actions for a certain out come, they choose, not me.

I could be homeless too, but I choose not to be.

Cliff Rogers
9th November 2007, 10:34 PM
:feedtroll:

http://www.ubeaut.biz/wanker.gif :D