PDA

View Full Version : decking foundation revision required

ray3103
30th October 2007, 11:38 AM
digging post holes for the deck and i have hit builders rubble about 350mm down ( 12 of 24 holes, ) . Looks like its a possible old pool filled in so i will have to dig up to 2m down to hard surface or provide new foundation method for the council.

Original plan was for stumps in 600mm hole. Low Deck 250 above ground.

Anyone come across this problem before and what was a fix?

For a new foundation method ( concrete slab?other ) can anyone recommend an engineer to check site and provide enginering design to allow footings to be placed on filled ground. ( eastern suburb Melbourne)

Yonnee
30th October 2007, 02:10 PM
Have a chat to Phil, P.R. Building Surveying Services. 9803 1400.

Peter.

pawnhead
30th October 2007, 05:47 PM
Looks like its a possible old pool filled in so i will have to dig up to 2m down to hard surface or provide new foundation method for the council.

Original plan was for stumps in 600mm hole. Low Deck 250 above ground.

Anyone come across this problem before and what was a fix?Yes. One of my first deck contracts about a hundred years ago now, I struck an old concrete septic tank full of rubble. Dug down to the base, knocked a hole in it, and found rock about two metres below ground. I put in a 300mm pier liner, backfilled and poured concrete.
It took me an extra day on the shovel and crow bar and used a bit more crete and a pier liner, but I got a variation from the client because I'd specified standard footing depths. There were no complaints and it wasn't a big deal.