PDA

View Full Version : Grout lifting

Spencer74
30th October 2007, 09:06 AM
Hi all

Before I go back to my tiler I would like to understand what has caused the following problem.

The grout on my laundry floor is lifting out in multiple areas. No pattern to it but it pops up in lengths of between 50 and 100mm. He tiled other areas with same tiles and grout and they seem OK to this stage. The laundry floor does not get any different conditions than any of the other areas apart from being a new room.

Any information would be appreciated.

Ashwood
30th October 2007, 09:33 AM
I'm no expert, but could it be moisture? Is there any dampness or darker colouring anywhere on the floor?

Do you know what's the material/floor underneath the tiles - concrete, yellowtongue, timber?? If it's a concrete slab, subsoil moisture or leaking pipes could cause heaving/expansion.

DNL
4th November 2007, 11:03 PM
I'd say either moisture or movement. Then again, it could just be the dude did a better grout job in some areas moreso than others. I layed tiles on suspended wooden floors in bathroom, toilet and shower, plus tiled the walls in my house 16 years ago, lovely wife did the grouting. House was rented for 13 of those 16 years and not a loss of grout anywhere to be seen.

House has settlement cracks in the brick work from the drought and sub soil drying out (checked by engineer - no major problems) but the grout is in place!

Have a house in Queensland and it did the same thing as yours. Tiles on a concrete slab - when we check the grout that was popping out, it was pretty weak - so I put it down to a the quality of the grout in places - probably thinning it with more water to make it go further!

Bottom line, have a friendly chat with the tiler, see what he thinks.

cheers