PDA

View Full Version : Lights in Decking

NewAtIt
22nd October 2007, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have any ideas about putting floor lights in decking. Do the lights and wiring get put in before the deck goes on - any advice would be great! - Apologies also - I'm a bit dense!!:?

Trav
22nd October 2007, 04:00 PM
Depends on whether you can access the underside of the deck after the boards are laid. If you can access the underside, finish the deck, then work out where you want the lights and wire them up.

If you can't access it, you'd have to do it as you went along.

In saying that, if you cant access beneath the deck after its built, you should probably use decking screws (not nails) so that you can lift the boards up for maintenance etc.

Trav

oohsam
22nd October 2007, 04:33 PM
Hey,
Im actually laying deckboards as we speak...I have ordered lights, LED deck lights, they come in packs of 10 and are about 90 bux a pack.
They dont have any stock at the moment, which sux for me, but I know where the lights are going and Im putting in some speaker wire on the floor where its going.

Once I get the lights, all i will do is cut the hole witha hole saw, and use a coat hanger to pull up the speaker wire and use it to pull through the cables.

The only issue I have with the LED lights is that they plug into a power point, I wanted them to be wired into a light switch. Not a big deal as I have 2 outdoor powerpoints on my deck and I'll just run the extension cable up to that point.

Here are the lights im getting

Edit: Oh and Im screwing my boards down so if I have to remove a few its not a big deal.
Cheers.

http://www.lightinggallery.com.au/v/vspfiles/photos/Bril%20COSA%2030%20-%2099976-2T.jpg

UteMad
22nd October 2007, 09:33 PM
Did you have a look at the HPM 12V deck light range... Simple as to connect you just drag around there heavy duty speaker cable and clip on the lights put a transformer on the other end and you in business ....
You can always use a yellow tongue strip to get from light to light if you get stuck fishing the cables through... The cable would be easy to get now so you could lay it now and get the lights later and cut your holes etc...We often run the cable under low decks for owners to deal with later

cheers utemad

dan76n
22nd October 2007, 10:23 PM
when using decking lights, how do you install them without weekening the decking board?

oohsam
22nd October 2007, 11:31 PM
You should try and put the light as close as possible to the joist, being careful not to put it too close to the nail/screw as it may split the board. I have 140mm wide boards and the hole to cut is 25mm so there is no real issue in my boards, when using 90mm boards you could put the light inbetween boards and have a semicircle cut from each board. It would still look pretty nice.

Burnsy
22nd October 2007, 11:52 PM
A tip for anyone having additional external power points placed outside to run water features and garden lighting is have the power point switched from inside the house as well. I use to have this done for many clients and it makes switching on water features and lights very convenient but keeps the simplicity of being able to plug in transformers and pumps.

On my new house I put two double external power points under my deck, one of them has each outlet switched from inside for when I set up my pond and lights.

Spelunx
23rd October 2007, 12:06 AM
A tip for anyone having additional external power points placed outside to run water features and garden lighting is have the power point switched from inside the house as well. I use to have this done for many clients and it makes switching on water features and lights very convenient but keeps the simplicity of being able to plug in transformers and pumps.

On my new house I put two double external power points under my deck, one of them has each outlet switched from inside for when I set up my pond and lights.

Now that is a great idea! I need to get some lights done in my deck once it all is finished. So, you installed a couple of external power-points, but then had the switches put inside? Do you have switches on the powerpoints as well? How much extra did the switch inside cost?

Burnsy
23rd October 2007, 12:12 AM
Now that is a great idea! I need to get some lights done in my deck once it all is finished. So, you installed a couple of external power-points, but then had the switches put inside? Do you have switches on the powerpoints as well? How much extra did the switch inside cost?

The power point still has switches, just use regular external power points, these points however are in turn switched via internal light switches. For the power point to be live, both switches must be on. Not being a sparky I am not sure of the exact process.

Price will always depend on how much work is involved, if your powerpoint is on an external cavity wall and the switch is just above it inside then price difference is not huge. I use to do this wherever possible as clients don't like digging around behind some shrubs in the dark trying to find the external power point to turn their garden lights on.

oohsam
23rd October 2007, 03:38 PM
Ok so here is my dilema. I have bought 2 kits, which require to power points. I only have 2 power points outside, and Its too late for me to get a switch wired up inside, the house is already built and the points are no where near a light switch...

Surley putting a power board under the deck and running an extension cable to the power point is not safe...

Any ideas?

silentC
23rd October 2007, 03:40 PM
Its too late for me to get a switch wired up inside
Why is it too late? It's never too late for a sparky with the right gear.

oohsam
23rd October 2007, 05:09 PM
You know what, You're right Silent, I just had a brilliant Idea on where i could put another outside point that could hook up easily to my light switch inside....
Im gettin a little excitable.

pawnhead
23rd October 2007, 08:46 PM
If it's a power point, then it has to go on a power circuit. It's heavier cabling than a light circuit.
If there's sub-floor access, then the sparky will be able to hook into an existing power point, so long as the circuit can handle it. And as silent said, if he's got the right gear, and it's a cavity, or stud wall, then he could put a switch anywhere. If it's a single brick wall that you want to put it in, then you'd have to remove an architrave, or chase the wall and patch it up again.

If it's just hardwired lights though, then it could go on a light circuit from an existing switch, and he could replace it with a double switch.

oohsam
23rd October 2007, 08:57 PM
The Lights I have bought (found none different) plug into a power point....Could not find any that are wired like downlights for example..not that you'd want them in ur decking.

freeplay
23rd October 2007, 10:31 PM
Althought I haven't done this to a deck yet...... I did apply this principal to my pool.

My pool lights (internal underwater 24v ) are wired to a meter/power box at the side of the pool. The power box contains the 24v transformers, I told my sparkie that I wanted the pool lights to go on and off automaticly with a timer, but too also have an override switch inside the house so that I can put the lights on when I have a party... or want to light up the pool after the timer has gone off.

I had the same thing applied to 2 massive flood lights that I use to light up two 100ft gum trees. ( no timer on the flood lights )
the same principal can be used for decking or garden lights. .......

..... so one step further....... ask your sparkie in install a timer..... they were $20 extra.... and worth every cent.

Burnsy
23rd October 2007, 10:35 PM
I had the same thing applied to 2 massive flood lights that I use to light up two 100ft gum trees. ( no timer on the flood lights )

You got any info on and pictures of the flood lights. Iwant to do this to a couple of gums at the front of my place but don't know whether a standard black and decker type flood light will do or whether I should spend the money on a big specialty light?

freeplay
23rd October 2007, 10:44 PM
Burnsy.... You might be able to get away with the BD flood lights... try to get 500watts ones if you can.
I have 2 x 1500watt.... I got the from a garage sale for $10 a few years ago. (BARGAIN)
I was told by the sparkie that they are available from any good industrial lighting store... (TLE or simular ) they use them as security lights on buildings at night.

Mine sends back a reflection over my pool that gives a million dollar image of the trees over the water.
I will take some pics and post them soon.

Burnsy
23rd October 2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Freeplay, I think I have a 150watt B&D somewhere in the shed so might give that a go before looking into something similar to yours, the reflection you talk of sounds fantastic.

pawnhead
23rd October 2007, 10:54 PM
The Lights I have bought (found none different) plug into a power point....Could not find any that are wired like downlights for example..not that you'd want them in ur decking.He can still hard wire them by cutting the plug off and connecting it in a J box, or a dedicated socket under the floor.
They won't let you wire up a power point to a light circuit though. Someone might come along and plug in a heater or a welder or something that it's not rated to carry. Also the fact that when you switch off the power circuit, but leave the light circuit on, some dimwit DIYer who's doing the wrong thing, might blast himself believing that there's no power to the point. A decent sparky would never assume that everything is wired up properly when his life may depend on it.

oohsam
24th October 2007, 11:51 AM
I see what you're saying pawnhead. As long as its doable, i can get it done, The advantage of screwing down your deck boards...Lift em when you need, put em back down ina few mins..

ahh the life.

Yonnee
26th October 2007, 01:39 PM
Anything's doable...:2tsup:

Where'd you find those lights? May I asked what they set you back?

Are they pre-wired to a small transformer that plugs in or do they hook up to a separate transformer?

On my last pergola I ran some fairy lights around the perimeter with the wiring running through the fascia to the transformer in the eaves. This was plugged into a 240V socket base mounted to a rafter, and the wiring went down the wall to the light switch in the family room for the outside lights.

I'm going to do a similar thing to my current deck and pergola. I'm looking into the availability of these...
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SL2810&CATID=21&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=271

oohsam
26th October 2007, 06:26 PM
OK So I got the lights from www.lightinggallery.com.au (http://www.lightinggallery.com.au)
They were 90 bux for 10, I bought 2 sets, plus 15 delivery. Not a bad price for the LED's.
I did alot of shopping around and these were the cheapest.

They all plug into a transformer and then into a power point, 1 powerpoint per transformer, 10 lights per transformer.

The jaycar ones dont have the hook bits in them so they can lift up.

Peice of cake.

Trav
29th October 2007, 07:12 PM
Burnsy.... You might be able to get away with the BD flood lights... try to get 500watts ones if you can.
I have 2 x 1500watt.... I got the from a garage sale for $10 a few years ago. (BARGAIN)

Just remember how much power they will consume - 1500w is 30 halogen globes. To run two, you're effectively running 60 halogen globes. That's a lot of power. Surely flouros would also work...

Trav