PDA

View Full Version : New Deck

clackerz
16th October 2007, 02:48 PM
I'm about to start construction of a new deck, and since there are so many experienced peeps in this forum, thought I'd post up my plan/design and request any comments (good and bad) before I go ahead.
The plan isn't to scale or anything, but the measurements are all there.
Here are some specs:

Low deck Fixed directly to an existing slab
L=12.175m W=4.015m (48.88m2) H=around 150mm - dependant on what size structual T/P I'll use.
90x19 Merbau decking - these will run parallel to the house. I'm looking to use nails & countersink as I don't want to see runs of nails/screws.
I'm either going to use 70x35 (dyna bolted to the slab - laying the 75 side flat) bearers with 90x45 joists using H3 T/P Dry Rougher Header Lasercut, or 75x50 (bearers/joists) wet sawn T/P. Not sure on the ramifications of using the wet sawn - so any comments on this is appreciated (oh and I have already posted this question - soz for the dbl posting!)
The plan is for 450mm spacing and 4 runs of bearers - one run will be fixed directly to the house (brick veneer)

Any comments (and be critical as I want to do this right) are appreciated.

Thanks Chris

lbgking
16th October 2007, 03:57 PM
Avoid the 75 x 50 wet sawn as it notorious for warping.

clackerz
18th October 2007, 08:47 AM
OK all my timber will be ready to start his w/end:)
I'm planning to get the bearers and joists up this w/end.
No stumps etc as it is being built directly onto an existing slab.

Juz need to make sure the coldies don't go on too early, otherwise consruction will most likely cease!