Hi
what would on average cost for
the materials for a deck
6metres X 3.5 metres
about 800mm above ground

Thank you

oohsam
15th October 2007, 11:37 PM
This is really difficult question to answer.
You need to put alot of things into it.

Stumps/posts - Treated Pine, cyprus, redgum ?
Cyprus will cost you about $6 a liner meter,(100x100) you'll need to go about 600mm in the ground so each stump will be 1200mm, and they will be spaced out no more than 1500mm
Beareers, I used treated pine, 140x45, but my stumps were 1200mm apart.
They cost about $6.50 a liner meter, and you'll need 3 rows of these, at 6 meters each (so about 18 linear meters )
Joists, I used Treated pine again, 90x45, they need to be 450mm apart so you'll need 13 joists at 3.6 meter lengths which will cost you $6.50 per liner meter.

Then deckboards...merabu, for 90x19 boards, you're lookin between 3.20 to 3.90 per liner meter. You'll need about 240 Liner meters for 90x19 boards.

Then you'll need nails, joist straps, and bolts....They'll cost you about $150.

pawnhead
16th October 2007, 12:07 AM
Depends on what sort of decking you're using. Treated pine is the cheapest.

You'd need 228 lineal metres of 90mm wide boards + 5% waste = 240 lm.
Merbau is a bit dearer, but its much nicer than pine and the cheapest next step up @ around $3.80 /lm. That's $912

You'd need almost 55m of joists. If you're using 4x2 TP it's about $5/lm. That's $275

You'd need 18m of 4x3 bearers @ about $10/lm. That's $180

You'd need 10m of 4x4 posts @ about $15/lm. That's $150

You'd need 15 post support stirrups @ about $8 each. That's $120

You'd need a cubic metre of concrete delivered in a minimix. I'm not too sure, but that's probably around $300

You'd need 30 bolts or 60 coach screws for the stirrups. The same if you're bolting the bearers. A couple of kilos of 3" galv nails for the framework, and probably five kilos of decking nails. Add about $100>$150 for hardware.

You won't need a handrail since it's less than a metre from the ground, and if you're not going to treat it with a coating of any sort, then your materials would add up to around $2,100 by my very approximate reckoning.

Shop around for the best current prices on the materials and you'll get a more accurate idea, but that would be your ballpark figure.

Edit: I see you got your post in whilst I was nutting out some figures there oohsam.
Beaten to the punch!

Spelunx
16th October 2007, 11:12 PM
As a really rough 'rule of thumb' decking will be about $150 a sq mtre, if you do it yourself. Using Jarrah decking and making it look 100% will probably round it up to $200 sqm. Its pretty rough and ready reckoning though.

thesupervisor
16th October 2007, 11:33 PM
i do decking in perth supplied and laid $190 sqr mtr with stainless screws using batu or kapur material supply should not exceed $130 to $150 for the guy off the street

Spelunx
17th October 2007, 12:35 AM
i do decking in perth supplied and laid $190 sqr mtr with stainless screws using batu or kapur material supply should not exceed $130 to $150 for the guy off the street

Does that include finishing?

What sort of finish do you use in WA coastal conditions?

thesupervisor
17th October 2007, 01:01 AM
i dont include finnishing but i recomend any of the main brand sealers timber glow, wyattl, solver
over here you need to be a regestied painter for any jobs over $200 incl materlials so i just stay away from doing it less hassle

brynk
17th October 2007, 03:21 PM
our deck, construction currently paused: http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=58109, is slightly larger than yours in length (10l.m.) & slightly narrower in width (3l.m.) & slightly closer to the ground, so could almost be considered a similar price. on ours, there are 2 major tasks remaining, for one of these i need to get some more steel for stair brackets; this will weigh in at around 300 bucks with a tool allowance for welding, and there is also another 180-odd dinar for 10l of decking oil which will be enough for about 6 coats, so around 500 outstanding.
<table border=0> <tr><td>Coatings</td><td>130</td></tr> <tr><td>Fixings (bolts, nails, etcet)</td><td>230</td></tr> <tr><td>Hardware (concrete, joist protectors, everything else)</td><td>100</td></tr> <tr><td>Timber</td><td>2200</td></tr> <tr><td>Tools (yes, i got some new toys out of the project)</td><td>300</td></tr> <tr><td>Total so far: </td><td>2960</td></tr> </table>
using a similar design in your situation you would need a 2nd run of bearer with a canti back to the house (in hindsight i should have done it this way myself!). this would add 2 posts, 6 odd lineal metres of bearer, a few more large bolts - probably another $400. however, you would require 7 less joists than us which will save you 170, less steel, less fixings, bolts, etcet. you could probably pick half of the additional cost for the second bearer run in savings on the shorter deck.

at the end of the day your decking will represent the major component of cost (say, 50%) and a good chunk of construction time also. shop around for good prices on the decking board - a ring around to the builders' / timber suppliers as well as the mills will be worth your while - for eg, we bought our timber from a pallet manufacturer who sold from his brother's mill to the public, but also carried decking for the odd time he sold to someone building a deck. the thinner the board the cheaper it will be / metre, but the more expensive & slower fixing cost will be.

going thicker than 19mm is not economical if the deck is built to aus standard 1684, because there is a restriction on the maximum joist spacing of 500mm. a thicker decking board will certainly allow you to span greater distances, 32mm say, would let you reach around 1m if the timber is a strong hardwood.

if you decide to put a roof on then you will add another 50% of the overall cost (depending on what roof covering you wind up using ofcourse - 200 micron builder's plastic is cheap at this time of year :wink:)

ger
17th October 2007, 09:01 PM
Thank you guys for info
(sorry been away for a day or so )
I need a qood quality deck so Merbau timber
sorry supervisor i am in Melbourne

ALSO

do you require a Council permit
in melbourne?

Thank you

Spelunx
19th October 2007, 12:33 AM
Thank you guys for info
(sorry been away for a day or so )
I need a qood quality deck so Merbau timber
sorry supervisor i am in Melbourne

ALSO

do you require a Council permit
in melbourne?

Thank you

In general, a deck 800mm off the ground would probably not need a permit. There are a number of rules around how close you can build to the neighbours fence, and building over plumbing or a septic tank. I have found most shires are pretty good with answering questions about this sort of stuff, plus, they should have basic guidelines in their handbook or on their website. Any construction is usually worth a quick call though!

UteMad
21st October 2007, 09:27 PM

Yeah you actually quote by the m2?????

Goes to show all states are diffferent i spose

Just for curiousity does it include hadrails ...stairs ... what sort of height off the ground....

Not picking just curious cause customers are always wanting a m2 rate which i politely tell them "not on your life i am not a paving man to many variables"

cheeers utemad

Burnsy
21st October 2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah you actually quote by the m2?????

Goes to show all states are diffferent i spose

Just for curiousity does it include hadrails ...stairs ... what sort of height off the ground....

Not picking just curious cause customers are always wanting a m2 rate which i politely tell them "not on your life i am not a paving man to many variables"

cheeers utemad
I don't think is all states are different but all people. I never quote per metre squared and I am in WA:2tsup: every job is different in my quote book.

UteMad
22nd October 2007, 05:38 PM
Join the club i reckon half the time the m2 has little to do with the cost at all.... Today i looked at 2 completely different decks one was batten over tile up 6 floors in a lift and 1 by stairs so nothing longer than 2500 and the other was up 1500 high again customer will sort handrail but this one was off the side of a pool into the horses paddock....And drive the ute right up to the deck....

Must be a personal thing...

At 190 / m2 you would get every real (forgeting tyre kickers) job in sydney i reckon

cheers utemad