PDA

View Full Version : Carpeting over terracotta tiles?

sfd
12th October 2007, 05:44 PM
My wife and I are planning on carpeting our house. The floor is currently sealed terracotta tiles with wide (say 10mm) grout lines approx 3-4mm lower than the level of the tiles themselves.

I'm worried that if we just lay the carpet over the tiles we will be able to see and feel the grout lines ruining the whole idea about putting the carpet down in the first place.

The only thing I've been able to think of is to use a self-levelling compound like Ardit to fill the grout back to the level of the rest of the tiles.

Does anyone have any other ideas? What about experience with Ardit? I've never used the product before. Is it something reasonable for a DIY job?

Bleedin Thumb
12th October 2007, 05:55 PM
I just had the carpet layers in today and had a gap near the threshold that I used builders bog (polyester resin) to fill.

If I had a bit to do and I wanted something to last with only a 3mm depth I would probably go with an Epirez product. Superfine kiln dried sand that you mix with a 2 part epoxy.

Not cheap but won't crack and break away like Ardite can and is very easy to use.

http://www.epirez.com.au/driver.asp?page=main/products/product+catalogue/epoxy+mortar+binders/gp+epoxy+mortar+binder+(133)

Look under their epoxy mortar binders..I think 133 is what your after.

munruben
12th October 2007, 06:22 PM
You would need to use a good underlay I think.