PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing then rendering an inside brickwall?

cosmic
3rd October 2007, 02:27 PM
Hello,

I'm looking at getting a room adjacent to the garage damp proofed/waterproofed and then rendered and painted. what are my options?

Any ideas on what sort of cost I would be looking at? the room is about 9m x 5m x 2m high (I think).

cheers :2tsup:

Ashwood
3rd October 2007, 03:03 PM
Hi, I recall a recent copy of the Handyman mag had a bathroom makeover, where they used a paintable waterproof membrane. You simply paint the stuff on the walls & floors, and that forms an impermeable layer. I think they then tiled over it.
Don't have more details but such a product exists as one of your options.

Dirty Doogie
3rd October 2007, 03:59 PM
Why do you need to waterproof the walls? It's not a bathroom or something is it?

cosmic
3rd October 2007, 06:43 PM
thanks for your replies guys...

I think I may have made a mistake....I think damp proofing is what I mean...no its not a bathroom...its a little below ground and can get damp...
I will be getting a quote tomorrow ..fingers crossed it isn't too exy... just wanted to know what my options were for doing such a thing :2tsup:

rmartens
9th October 2007, 09:57 PM
Put a water proof in the render before you damproof because if you damproof before the render the render will take a very long time to dry.
After you do the rendering you can use a product on top of the render to damproof and then paint use a damproof that you can paint onto.

cosmic
10th October 2007, 05:21 PM
thanks for your help rmartens.

I spoke to the painter in charge, he is waterproofing the inside walls (some type of spray I think? or goes on with a brush?) then it is rendered.
They cannot put concrete render over the top of the waterproofing stuff....it is som esort of other render....that is put on by hand with a glove and spread around the walls that way...leaves somewhat of a rough finish. but is ok.
They do have to waterproof because the room is below ground level.

costly!

:2tsup:

paul novice
10th October 2007, 10:00 PM
I am currently turning my underhouse double garage into a rumpus room. drainage is an issue, as the room has had significant seepage on several occasions.The house is on a slopewhich falls awayfrom back to front. 6metrs from the back of the house is a75cmjump in yard level. The previous owner used a rock wall mosaic cemented type face with some drainage holes. pavers then extend to the house.I am putting in a drain at the base of the wall, then running it away frm the house.I would be grateful for advice on the best way to do this

rmartens
10th October 2007, 11:22 PM
I would tend to think if you could get to the outside walls if that is possible and waterproof them that would stop the water getting in the first place. But as you said the painter has a good product so I hope all gos well let us know how you go and the success as it is a good reference point for future projects.

rmartens
10th October 2007, 11:38 PM
Can you attach a few photos Paul?
The pavers that are against the house are they at footing level? Its ussually not a good idea to have pavers right up against a building as the permeation of water would seap through into the house. In uk there were a lot of dampness issues and what they used to do there was to inject silicon into the walls. I think something like bunnings have these products if this is appropriate for your particular place Im not sure. But say you have a cavity wall you drill holes on the outside coarse every say 1.2 metre and inject a waterproof which impregnates the inside cavity with a water proof. At a paint shop they might enlighten you on this. This was very common in U.k.
But I may have other suggestions once I see some photos.

paul novice
12th October 2007, 10:14 PM
I am technologically illiterate hence am unable to provide photos but I am going to attempt to scan a diagram of my situation.

rmartens
13th October 2007, 01:43 AM
I will have a good look at that diagram tomorrow thanks for the drawing.
Looks like a good idea with the drain.

paul novice
14th October 2007, 02:36 PM
I really appreciate any help I can get with my drainage problem. Further queries re drain are, Do l simply put socked agpipe into trench then cover with blue metal? Is it a good idea to put pre fab drain above agpipe?
Thanks again Iam really grateful for any help. By the way If anyone has questions re music, there I may be of assistance:U(my profession,ergo practical things are not my strong suit but have no choice but to be willing to give it a go)

rmartens
14th October 2007, 07:11 PM
Yes that seems like a good idea. The pavers against your house can you remove a few so that they are not against your house?
If you can dig right down to the foundation of your external wall and treat it with a waterproof is that possible to do?
With access and all.
We are waterprooofing a concrete tilt panel set of units as there are a lot of leaking problems and it has been a process of elimination so meaning everything you do may help the situation but not completely solve the whole problem. If the water runs against the house then it is likely to leaK into the house but if somehow you can have the water not run along the house and instead in a spoon drain ( I may be right out of track as Im not 100 percent sure if this is a problem)

Ive seen your drawing. I wonder where the dirt covers part of the wall has that been water proofed? either with a bitumis tar or something like that.
If I was to put a soakwell in I would have one made from concrete and not plastic. Hope all works