PDA

View Full Version : Where to get reno supplies Brisbane

aussieorchid
14th August 2007, 12:10 AM
Does anyone know a good hardware shop in brisbane other than bunnies to get supplies. I am after a fair bit of undercoat and top coat for metal the no rust kind (kill rust, rust guard etc) and around a case or two of sikaflex pro and backing rod and general reno stuff. I am on the southside of brisbane but do not mind travelling a little to get a good shop with good prices and people who know what they are taking about.

Honorary Bloke
14th August 2007, 12:28 AM
a good shop with good prices and people who know what they are taking about.

Pick one. :rolleyes: Otherwise, an oxymoron. :(

aussieorchid
14th August 2007, 01:55 PM
Pick one. :rolleyes: Otherwise, an oxymoron. :(

I can always hope.

scanfor
14th August 2007, 02:10 PM
Which suburb?

Bluegum
14th August 2007, 03:02 PM
You could try Paddington hardware or there is Bretts there on Newmarket road there in Windsor. Both places are worth checking out.

aussieorchid
14th August 2007, 07:36 PM
Which suburb?

Macgregor

scanfor
16th August 2007, 11:21 AM
Try Scurr;s at Mt Gravatt Central. They're just like Bunnies, but seem to cater more to the trade.

me3_neuralfibre
17th August 2007, 01:19 PM
For timber - A Wood Shed darra
For Steel - Citi Steel darra

Much as I hate to say it
I use Bunnings for odds and sods with Home Builder card (1 - 5% off)

Just finishing huge reno on my place.

Paul

markharrison
17th August 2007, 08:36 PM
I can tell you where not to buy timber. Most of the reclaimed timber yards.

I priced some timber for my new workbench (pics will follow in a separate thread when I get started in the next week or so) and the prices were absolutely shocking. I can buy virgin spotted gum for just over half the price they are asking for rough sawn "de-nailed" timber. For a couple of hundred dollars more I can buy premium furniture grade virgin Victorian Ash from Lazarides.

I hope the de-nailing is good because one stray nail will demolish a saw blade or planer knives which is only going to add to the cost, substantially!

Colin Howkins
17th August 2007, 09:54 PM
Paddington Hardware is not bad.

If you are looking for a primer on ferrous metals, go to a chemical supplier and buy some phosphoric acid. Use it neat on ferrous metal - leave a little bix of rust on it. Turns Iron oxide [rust] into iron phosphate, and once thats done it wont rust. Cover with normal paint. look at the contents of some of these rust treatments and the prime ingredient is phosphoric acid, and don't they charge you for that.

I bought about 2 litres of this stuff 10 years ago - it'll probably last another 10

Colin Howkins
Graceville Qld:2tsup:

aussieorchid
17th August 2007, 10:57 PM
Paddington Hardware is not bad.

If you are looking for a primer on ferrous metals, go to a chemical supplier and buy some phosphoric acid. Use it neat on ferrous metal - leave a little bix of rust on it. Turns Iron oxide [rust] into iron phosphate, and once thats done it wont rust. Cover with normal paint. look at the contents of some of these rust treatments and the prime ingredient is phosphoric acid, and don't they charge you for that.

I bought about 2 litres of this stuff 10 years ago - it'll probably last another 10

Colin Howkins
Graceville Qld:2tsup:

I know you can use phosphoric acid to convert the rust but what about the primer for metal. I have been told you should use undercoat for metal to prevent rust returning and one of those kill rust top coats and boy do they cost. The better part of $80 for 4L.

Just George
17th August 2007, 11:39 PM
Try http://myworld.ebay.com.au/crystal-paints-and-renovating-products you can buy direct from them as well as buying through eBay.

aussieorchid
18th August 2007, 01:12 AM
Try http://myworld.ebay.com.au/crystal-paints-and-renovating-products you can buy direct from them as well as buying through eBay.

Have you tried crystal paints. I live not too far from the shop and have considered using their products as prices seem very good. I was just a little worried the quality might not be as good as some of the more well known brands adn I would end up doing the smae job twice.

Colin Howkins
18th August 2007, 07:27 PM
I know you can use phosphoric acid to convert the rust but what about the primer for metal. I have been told you should use undercoat for metal to prevent rust returning and one of those kill rust top coats and boy do they cost. The better part of $80 for 4L.

After using phosphoric acid, have only ever used oil based primer and whatever for the top coat and never had any worries. A number of times have not even painted the metal after the application of phosphoric acid. Goes a blackish colour and that about the way it stays

Colin Howkins
Graceville Qld