PDA

View Full Version : Level Sand

Paul2012
8th August 2007, 02:35 PM
Hopefully someone with paving experience can help with this question, I'm about to put in an a small above ground pool the area is 4 x 4 m and I need to level the ground with sand.

How is this done i have never even paved before and I'm not sure of the technique for levelling sand...

Tools
8th August 2007, 07:33 PM
Set up a screed rail at the required height on both sides of the area,and run a straight edge along it,pulling the sand with the screed as you go.

Tools

bricks
8th August 2007, 07:46 PM
as above, but for a pool id hire a plate compactor for the job aswell. Put the sand in 50-100mm high then wack it, then screed off.

Also when you get your sand it'd be good to get a corse type of sand- eg what they call here in S.A. PM64 grade- tell the guy at the dirt place what you need it for and he should have a fair idea of price vs suitability.

Planned LScape
9th August 2007, 01:27 AM
Use steel screed rails and a steel straightedge- it'll be a lot easier.

Make sure when you get the rails to height to pack sand tightly around it so it doesnt move while screeding the sand back. Then when done take the rails out and fill with sand and float off

Tubby2
9th August 2007, 02:59 PM
Am I right in saying that if you just flooded the sand with water it would settle in a level position and also be compacted.

Bleedin Thumb
9th August 2007, 03:23 PM
no

Paul2012
10th August 2007, 07:09 AM
ok thanks i now have a better idea on how this is done, should i bother doing a layer of roadbase first...

Big Shed
10th August 2007, 10:07 AM
yes

Planned LScape
11th August 2007, 08:10 PM
The better the roadbase= how secure the paving level will be and how long it lasts

Give it 75-100mm to be sure, seeing as it is next to a pool. Just make sure the subsoil is firm, if it is fill you will need a greater depth of roadbase. There will be more work in excavation, but the longevity will be worth it

Compact it in 50mm layers too and slightly wet it, it compacts much harder that way.