PDA

View Full Version : Gas heater flue.

nomad
23rd July 2007, 09:41 AM
G'day all. First post here from a long time watcher. Love this forum, it's great. Well done. :)

About the flue on an LP Gas heater I'm thinking of putting in.

It has the first section that fits to the back of the heater & sticks out horizontally to go through the wall.

My question is, do I have to extend the flue & have it run up the side of the house like a wood fire one. Or will it work just as well in letting the fumes escape if it is just sticking horizontally out of the outside wall. Is it legal to do this? I'm in north central Vic.

Cheers.
Andrew

Big Shed
23rd July 2007, 10:04 AM
If you are talking about the straight through flue with the little dome on the outside, than they work very well as they are and are perfectly legal.

I doubt whether you can extend them up the side of the house.

When we had a natural gas heater we had a flue like that, my son currently has a Rinnai 1001 LPG heater with the same flue, works like a charm.

The only thing he has done is put an optional guard on it as he has 2 small girls. See the Rinnai site.

nomad
23rd July 2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Big shed.

It's a Rinnai heater but I don't know what model it is. There's no indication of this on the unit, but it's an older model. It was in the garage when I recently bought the house.

The 2nd pic is of the flue section I have. I can see I'll need another bit on the end of this to go completely through the wall. I'll check out the Rinnai site.

Big Shed
23rd July 2007, 11:47 AM
That doesn't look like the flue I'm talking about. It looks like the old flue type that goes up the wall. Either though to the outside and then up, or more likely, inside the wall on a brick veneer wall. I would take the section you have to a gas heater place or gas plumber as the regulations on in-wall flues have changed and they now need to be triple skin, I think.

nomad
23rd July 2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the help mate. It's going through a weatherboard wall so I'll go talk to a shop or tradie.

bricks
24th July 2007, 10:41 PM
Nomad are you aware that you need to provide adequate room ventilation before you install any room heater in your house.

Are you aware of the restricted discharge points of flues.

Do you know how far up the wall you need to run the flue.

That flue is single skin? if it is then it probably came out of someones chimney cavity- ?
you can't install that flue outside a building. _ reason- the flue gasses in a single skin flue (hot stuff) cool down too quickly in an uninsulated flue that is outside a building, the result is that they fall back down the flue into your house. When they do this your heater won't burn all the gas properly, this results in carbon monoxide being produced. Carbon monoxide will kill you.

But it wont hurt.

The next problem is that while the flue will be too cold to maintain lift on the flue gas it will be roughly the right temperature to burn your weather board house down.

You need the twin skin flue kit for that model of heater.
Pull the front cover off at the bottom of the heater. There should be a model and MJ/hr rating on the inside of the heater- not normally on the cover-. this is all you need to size and buy the flue kit.