PDA

View Full Version : question for any glassies out there

tigergrrl
17th July 2007, 07:35 PM
Can anyone tell me the best way to get very small holes, in pieces of very small glass? I want to be able to play around with some bits found whilst beachcombing.....

ozwinner
17th July 2007, 08:43 PM
Hi.

There is a drill bit you can get made specifically for drilling glass.
I dont know where you get them though.

Al :)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th July 2007, 09:19 PM
You can also drill with small copper/brass rods, using an abrasive compound. A strand of heavy gauge auto wire & Brasso can do the trick in a pinch.

Slow and steady does it, keeping heat to a minimum.

ozwinner
17th July 2007, 09:26 PM
With the price of copper at the moment it would be cheaper to buy a drill bit. :U

Al :q

bitingmidge
18th July 2007, 09:55 PM
Hi.

There is a drill bit you can get made specifically for drilling glass.
I dont know where you get them though.

Bunneys, at the tool place. I saw them last weekend (or would have if I'd been in Bunneys, which I am not admitting to! :D )

They look like cotton buds with a little sharp diamond bud on one end. Oh alright, they don't look anything like cotton buds, but you can get them in Bunnies.

cheers,

P
:D

ozwinner
18th July 2007, 09:59 PM
They look like cotton buds with a little sharp diamond bud on one end. Oh alright, they don't look anything like cotton buds, but you can get them in Bunnies.

cheers,

P
:D

Good for cleaning out your robots ears. :cool:

joe greiner
18th July 2007, 11:38 PM
You can also drill with small copper/brass rods, using an abrasive compound. A strand of heavy gauge auto wire & Brasso can do the trick in a pinch.

Slow and steady does it, keeping heat to a minimum.

Build a little moat of plastecine (modelling clay) or pottery clay around the hole to contain the cutting fluid.

Joe

silentC
19th July 2007, 10:14 AM
Build a little moat of plastecine
Beat me to it Joe. We just used water. Our bit was diamond tipped and I used to chuck it up in a variable speed air drill. You could use a hand drill (egg beater type). Slow and steady wins this race.

tigergrrl
22nd July 2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've found the required drill bit and have some plastecine..even found a friend with a bench press. I'll get through the 347 pieces of glass in no time at all! drilling very slowly of course... Thanks again :2tsup:

silentC
23rd July 2007, 09:14 AM
Just make sure you have a few spares. And don't put too much pressure on the lever if you're using a drill press. Just the weight of your hand and let the drill bit do the work.

tigergrrl
23rd July 2007, 09:59 PM
Righto...a drill press...of course! that's what I'm going to use after I've done a work out with the bench press:B