PDA

View Full Version : Tiling help!

Nigel2
15th June 2007, 12:49 AM
Hi,

I'm in the process of renovating two bathrooms, and have spoken with a tiler about tiling. I have removed all of the old tiles and screed, however with the new job I am taking the tiles up to waist height rather than just a border around the base of the wall. The tiler has said he prefers all the soft white plaster to be removed from the walls prior to tiling, rather than simply putting divits in it.

Aparently there are electric tools available for removing the plaster, but I cannot find any for hire in Perth. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
Nigel

Tip
3rd July 2007, 12:54 PM
Plaster is amongst the easiest and most fun things to destroy ( i mean remove) I'm currently removing the plasterboard in my ensiute to replace with a compressed cement sheeting so I can tile to the ceiling.

What i have found is if you score it with a stanley knife where you want it to break evenly and then bash the life out of it with a jimmy bar it comes off quite easily. If you want a cleaner way to do it, score in a checkerboard pattern across the area you want gone and again bash the life out of it with something heavy.

Its probably unconventional but it works.

Good luck!:2tsup:

jags
3rd July 2007, 02:59 PM
Hi nigel

i don't know how you removed the tiles without a hammer drill there great and very effective .But i would suggest useing one to remove the white set (Plaster) you can hire them at most hire shops the one i tend to you is the hire guys in osborne park from memory about $40 a day .

i''m about to do the same thing ( but going all the way to the ceiling useing 300 by 600s ) and had not thought of this the last tiler i used did not bother but he was shocking and should have been punched rather than paid .i learned a hard lesson ASK for REFERENCES.

rob

pharmaboy2
3rd July 2007, 05:36 PM
heh jags, if those 600*300's are rectified edge and you want a good job (butt joined), then those walls have to be perfectly stright on both planes - and i mean "perfect" - think a few days of prep for the tiler, so the price wont be a usual /m rate. if not rectified simply ignore me ;)

Nigel2
16th July 2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the help, but I actually found a great way to do it for anyone out there who wants to strip off plaster from brick walls, leaving the cement coating in place. Kennards Hire have a machine called "The Concrete Renovator" that is incredible! I stripped the plaster to waist high in three rooms, took half a day. The machine is the size of a large angle grinder. You set the thickness that you want it to "eat" into, and then just push it along the wall. $128 for 24 hours, although it does come with an industrial vacuum to minimise the mess. I strongly advise a good respirator if you are going to give it a try! (approx $50 from Bunnings)

Nigel2
16th July 2007, 12:04 AM
Jags - I did use a hammer drill for the tile removal already, bought one from Bunnings for about $80 - works wonders!