PDA

View Full Version : Tiling the toilet

Graham99
12th June 2007, 06:57 PM
Hi there,

I am looking at tiling the throne room as the person who chose the colour scheme for the room must have been on some serious smelling salts. I am looking at pulling up and relaying the floor tiles and the border. This is my first tiling project before I move onto the bathroom so I am exercising caution and doing my homework.

When looking at the cistern it looks as though it has been placed after the tiles were laid. Is this the convention or can I just lift the old tiles and tile around the cistern with the new tiles.

I also need to drill a hole in a tile for the reservoir tap, how does one do this.

Your help in these matters is much appreciated.

atregent
13th June 2007, 11:42 AM
I'm no expert on the subject, but I'd be inclined to take the cistern off before tiling. It shouldn't be too hard to remove, and it'll look a lot better when you're done. Plus, if it's not already, could be a good opportunity to change it for a dual flush.

I've just finished a new throne room at my place and did all the tiling and painting before the new pan and cistern was installed.

I picked up a 32mm carbide hole saw from bunnings for about $15 that makes short work of cutting nice neat holes in tiles.

Graham99
13th June 2007, 06:31 PM
Hi there,

The toilet is a dual flush already. I will look at removing the cistern, I am sure it will make things easier, esp tiling behind the thing.

I guess a trip to Bunnings is on the cards........again:U

Regards
Graham

dodgeit&legit
13th June 2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Graham,

If the tiles are structurally sound and your looking for a more modest makeover you might like to investigate the tile paints like white knight etc. for a fresh less 'stimulating' look. If your not happy with the result then it's only $40 odd worth of paint down the pipe and it could save you plenty on the re-tile and plumb etc.

let us know how you go.

cheers
paul