PDA

View Full Version : framless mirror hanging

casper
10th June 2007, 06:03 PM
Hi

Does anyone have the best method to hang a framless mirror apprx 1m sq.

Obviously I dont want holes in the mirror.

thanks

mic-d
10th June 2007, 06:11 PM
Double-sided tape and some dobs of neutral cure silicone is pretty standard.

Cheers
Michael

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th June 2007, 06:34 PM
...and the double-sided tape is basically just to hold it in position while the silicone goes off.

joe greiner
10th June 2007, 11:12 PM
Double-sided tape and some dobs of neutral cure silicone is pretty standard.

Cheers
Michael

Really? Reliable enough for long-term support? When/if silvering goes bad, removal could be a PITA. Or does silicone provide adequate protection? And/or what about future remodel?

I'd consider something like these, except local supplier, e.g. mirror/glass shop:

http://www.knapeandvogt.com/?page=products.20.268&page_nr=2

Two No. 309 at bottom; one or two No. 318 at top - attached loosish and drops to engage top of mirror.

Joe

Honorary Bloke
10th June 2007, 11:20 PM
I'm with Joe on this one. Must be a cultural thing. :rolleyes: :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th June 2007, 03:57 PM
Really? Reliable enough for long-term support? When/if silvering goes bad, removal could be a PITA. Or does silicone provide adequate protection? And/or what about future remodel?

Yes, it works well.

The lateral (ie. "sliding") grip is very effective, but you can simply lever the glass away from the wall/surface to break the seal should that be necessary.

A bead of silicon just in from the outside edge will prevent moisture from seeping behind, which I believe is one of the major causes of desilvering. Of course, it also depends on how permeable the wall itself is and what sort of finish was applied to the wall in the first place. :shrug:

I'd consider something like these, except local supplier, e.g. mirror/glass shop:

In all honesty, they'd be my preference too. Esp. when I'm the one guaranteeing the work. :rolleyes: However, some people want invisible fittings, or the location of the glass (eg. being fitted into a rebate) makes silicone the way to go.