PDA

View Full Version : Gas heater jets

alisonol
27th May 2007, 10:04 PM
My house is plumbed for LPG. I want to buy a used gas heater (cant afford a new one).

I have been looking on ebay for an lpg heater but there are not as many as there are natural gas.

How much does it generaly cost to change a heater over from natural to lpg?

Where/Who do I talk to about getting further info?

China
27th May 2007, 11:23 PM
Talk to your plumber they often cary generic jets. They can redrill the standard jets, you buy the drills yourself they are about $15.00 each and break very easily

bricks
28th May 2007, 07:03 PM
a few things about internet shopping sites.

Your gas appliances and electrical appliances for that matter need to be approved for use in australia. Some dealers/ sellers will say they are approved when they are not approved.

Gas jets for either natural or lpg can be bought from most suppliers of new products- cost around $20 for the jets. All you need is the model number.

http://www.aga.asn.au/product_directory
This is a link to a pdf that will ensure the product you buy meets australian requirements. Anything that is not on this list can not be installed legally in australia.

Changing jets how ever is not hard or costly.

echnidna
28th May 2007, 07:28 PM
Just be aware that lpg house heating is reall expensive to run

vivnpaul
10th March 2008, 02:55 PM
Hi - time has gone past but I have just seen your posting and thought I'd advise that I actually have a great gas heater for sale for LPG only.I pourchased it as that as we only had bottled gas in our area.If you are still interested or know of anyone else who might be - please feel free to reply.Viv

wonderplumb
10th March 2008, 07:15 PM
Jets are cheap but you need the WHOLE conversion kit, which will have jets, thermocouple, thermostat, new controls etc. that are specific for that make and model of heater, which must be installed for the conversion. The heater usually has to be stripped to fit the new parts, cleaned and tested etc. in accordance with the code.
It is cheaper than buying a new heater but is not a matter of 'changing jets'. Nor is it a simple matter of drilling them out or brazing up the hole and drilling them smaller. This sort of thing is left to the DIY'er to do on his BBQ.
Other domestic appliances shouldnt be touched by other than an authorised contractor.
As Bricks said the appliance must have an AGA approval sticker on it, otherwise bin it.