PDA

View Full Version : Removing and re-tiling over render.

McBrain
25th May 2007, 03:24 PM
I'm about to remove some wall tiles (v. old) which I'm told have been attached using cement render onto solid brick. I've attached a section view of what I think it looks like.

I'm expecting that chunks of the render will come off when I remove the tiles and I'll be left with holes in the render back to bare brick. Is this a fair assumption?

How would the surface then need to be prepared to apply new tiles? Would I need to render the wall to give a flat surface and then tiles would go on that?

What is the render? Sand and cement?

I spoke to a tiler today who wasn't interested in doing the job, he said that he would want the preparation done first, also the prep to the bathroom slab floor which would need screeding/self-leveling compound.

Would a tiler generally render the wall and then tile, or do I need someone to render first? Some of the tiling is a kitchen splashback so I guess any rendering would need to be done before the kitchen cabinets are installed?

Any advice appreciated. Also if you can recommend a good tiler in Inner Eastern Melb.

Cheers

rat52
25th May 2007, 03:48 PM
Try removing the tiles. You may be lucky and not do too much damage. A few holes can easily be patched with cement render. It comes in various size bags from hardware stores.

If most of the render falls off then get a pro plasterer to fix.

myla
25th May 2007, 06:17 PM
hello,

many many years ago tiles were stuck on with mortar (render like), if this is the case then the tiles will most likey come off quite easily

the new adhesives are very strong

generally it will come right off to the block/brick wall, although if rendered first and then stuck on it may go back to render

if you have a thick top edge then this generally means stuck on with mortar

rendering/screeding needs to be done prior to tiling and allowed to dry out

regards

myla

McBrain
28th May 2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I will get in there this week and see what happens.

If the render comes off back to bare brick, it's been suggested that I may not need to re-render as the adhesive may be able to take up the difference in thickness - but it looks to me like it may be too thick for that.

the approach I will take is to try and remove the tiles while keeping the render attached and patch any holes. If it all comes off then I will re-render.

Cheers