PDA

View Full Version : Hydronic (radiator) heating tips ?

Justin
11th May 2007, 10:03 PM
Hi All,

We'll be finalising the plans for our new house very soon and will be using hydronic for heating (the kind using radiators, not heating the slab). I know this will be pricey, but it's a must-do as my other half has significant sinus and dust allergy problems, which are really exacerbated by fan forced hot air (eg gas central heating).

I've been to see only one supplier so far, their advice was to come back once we've finalised the plans as they needed to factor in room volume, seating pozzies, window placement etc. As we're just about to finish off the plans I'm going to ramp up the supplier engagements again, and I am fishing for some tips from those in the know.

So, any supplier recommendations or general tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Justin.

bfx
12th May 2007, 12:33 AM
Justin,

Don't know if this will help much but I am having one installed in a new house at the moment.

We are installing a wood fired system manufactured in Albury by Albury Consolidated Industries (ACI). They are providing the boiler, radiators, pump and fittings for $10,000. My plumber is supplying the copper pipes and associated hardware and installing the system for a further $3,500. The house is 34 squares in the old money. ACI are providing the plumber with all the necessary instructions for installation.

I imagine you will have many other options in Melbourne. Good luck.

Bill

RogerB
12th May 2007, 02:03 PM
Hi All,

We'll be finalising the plans for our new house very soon and will be using hydronic for heating (the kind using radiators, not heating the slab). I know this will be pricey, but it's a must-do as my other half has significant sinus and dust allergy problems, which are really exacerbated by fan forced hot air (eg gas central heating).

I've been to see only one supplier so far, their advice was to come back once we've finalised the plans as they needed to factor in room volume, seating pozzies, window placement etc. As we're just about to finish off the plans I'm going to ramp up the supplier engagements again, and I am fishing for some tips from those in the know.

So, any supplier recommendations or general tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Justin.
Justin,

You can use baseboard finned tube radiation (copper pipe with aluminum fins) which has more of a commercial look to it or, my preferred choice, steel panel radiators. The panel radiators have very unique designs and can really add an interesting look to a room. Google "panel radiators" and look at Runtal and Panel Radiator Inc for some examples. Panel radiation costs more than baseboard finned tube radiation, but I think it is worth the extra money.

Good luck.

RogerB