PDA

View Full Version : Wet gyprock

Timbo's Shed
28th April 2007, 03:37 PM
I am in the process of plastering our bedroom. I had a few sheets of Gyprock in the garage sitting on their sides. Over the last week we had a lot of rain and water has got into the garage and run across the floor. Hence the gyprock has got wet. Is there any way to save the gyprock, ie dry it out? or will it be all lumpy when hung on the wall???

Thanks Tim.

Tools
28th April 2007, 05:59 PM
It depends on how much water they got.Do you have some pics?

Tools

echnidna
28th April 2007, 06:08 PM
If the sections that got wet still feel solid & firm its probably ok.
Daggy sections can be cut off so you should still be able to use most of the sheets. Just might mean fitting sections here and there and doing more stopping up.

Timbo's Shed
28th April 2007, 07:21 PM
sorry no pics. they seem to have soaked up water several inches up. The sheet is still intact etc, just worried that if it drys out it will be out of shape? any suggestions on how to dry it out while keeping it as flat as possible? I was thinking of laying it down on some timber so it gets air flow to both sides, but then I am worried it will sag on the wet edges?

rat52
28th April 2007, 07:30 PM
If it is just the edges then they can be trimmed but if the whole sheet is wet then it will sag
Plaster absorbes moisture over time and storing on edge will cause it to bow.

Considering the cheap cost of it buy some more and there will be no worries about having to fix it later

rod@plasterbrok
29th April 2007, 10:52 PM
Lay it flat with some packers under it to give it some air. and it will be ok.

You have to let it dry flat or it will stay in a buckled position.

You have to let it dry to prevent mildew.

Cheers

Rod