PDA

View Full Version : Help - Ceramic Tile Underlay

Aussiephil
24th April 2007, 05:46 PM
Some help please dear forum members, i have read lot's including the JH fixing guide for CTU. It has left me with a couple of questions though.

The CTU will be laid over existing T&G flooring, the areas being tiled are the entrance, hall and kitchen about 30 SqM.
I've had conflicting advice on how to fix this to the existing floor.

Questions.
1. Should I glue and nail, or is nailing sufficient by itself.

2. Nails - can i use a nail gun, if so what do i need to buy. already have quite few air tools one more would be nice :) I'm not looking forward to 2000 odd nails by hand.

3. Where can i buy the gun nails from in the ACT if the answer to 2 is yes.

4. Glue - each of the building supply companies i spoke to gave conflicting advice, JH say to use Stud Adhesive, is this correct? The only stud adhesive i know is the gyprock stuff that is very thick. The fixing guide talks of spreading it on the back of the sheets first.

There is probably a dozen other question that haven't occured to me

Cheers and Thanks in Advance.
Phil

scottyb
24th April 2007, 09:54 PM
I have had no problems using annular (ring-shanked) underlay nails, about 25mm in length for fixing FC underlay to pine timber subfloor, with no adhesive. I have seen similar nails (but longer) used in a nail gun, but for a pine floor they are cheap and v easy to hammer in, so wouldn't bother with a nail gun. Fixng full size villaboard sheets rather than the smaller FCU sheets which are basically the same material will save some nailing time also.

scooter
24th April 2007, 10:08 PM
Gday Phil, if you're goint to follow someone's advice, JH make the sheet I'd be taking their advice as gospel, they are the ones that warrant the product.

Could apply Stud Adhesive with a notched trowel I guess.

I think most people just nail it down though, with annular or twist nails to resist pulling out.

Aussiephil
25th April 2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks Scottyb and Scooter

Cheers