PDA

View Full Version : making a hole in a tile that's already on the wall?

womble
23rd April 2007, 06:05 PM
How can I do this? The tiler didn't cut a hole in the wall tile for the toilet pipe to go through, how do you go about cutting a 100mm round hole through a tile that's already up??

rod1949
23rd April 2007, 06:29 PM
Hire or buy a carbide coated hole saw. I've got a smaller one (40-50mm) that is used for tap bodies through tiles got it from Bunnings.

The other option is to use a 6mm masonry drill bit and drill a series of close coupled holes right around the perimeter and gentle break/tap it out.

Ramps
23rd April 2007, 06:37 PM
Another tool I found very handy was a TC grit coated jigsaw "blade" which works a gem IF there is a hole on the other side of the tile AND it's a wall tile not one of those super hard (and thick) floor tiles.

pharmaboy2
23rd April 2007, 08:00 PM
i'd go the drill bit and a 100 small holes! use masking tape to stop chipping, get the dunny out, and see how it fits against the wall, because the chances are that the hole for the piping is covered by the poorcelain - so cheap and easy is the go with neatness a distant last.

IF it needs to be neat - then careful, and hide the broken line with white sealant,

rat52
23rd April 2007, 11:30 PM
Angle grinder with a diamond blade.

Mark out the hole then carefully, with a firm grip on the grinder cut inside the line.

Finish to the line by using the blade as a grinder, a little bit at a time,

Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

bennylaird
23rd April 2007, 11:43 PM
Good excuse to buy a Dremel and a tile cutting head. Then you can use the dremel for lots of other good stuff.