PDA

View Full Version : under-bath ventilation regulations????

adam01
23rd April 2007, 05:16 PM
Are there any regulations or even guidelines regarding the ventilation under a bath? I ask because when I removed the old one there was no floor at all, just the joists with the bath frame built on top. The bathroom is on ground floor and the house is raised on stumps. I was planning on replacing the floorboards and packing around the bath with insulation batts but I'm sure I read somewhere about "adequate ventilation" being required.
Any ideas put there?????

Also, is it necessary to put a steel bath on a mortar bed as well as a full box frame and stud recesses?? manufacturer says not but.....

ozwinner
23rd April 2007, 08:40 PM
Are there any regulations or even guidelines regarding the ventilation under a bath? I ask because when I removed the old one there was no floor at all, just the joists with the bath frame built on top. The bathroom is on ground floor and the house is raised on stumps. I was planning on replacing the floorboards and packing around the bath with insulation batts but I'm sure I read somewhere about "adequate ventilation" being required.
Any ideas put there?????

Most floors now are complete floors on top of the sub floor, this make framing easier.
So there is no need to vent.

Also, is it necessary to put a steel bath on a mortar bed as well as a full box frame and stud recesses?? manufacturer says not but.....

A steel bath should hold itself in a box frame if the box frame is done properly.
They put mortar under the acrylic baths because they are weak.

Al :)

adam01
23rd April 2007, 09:41 PM
Cheers Al, thanks for the info. Any tricks of the trade for constructing the bath frame "properly" would also be welcome!!!:2tsup:

ozwinner
23rd April 2007, 09:44 PM
Cheers Al, thanks for the info. Any tricks of the trade for constructing the bath frame "properly" would also be welcome!!!:2tsup:

I observe lots and lots on site, but from a brickies point of view, I know how to do it but you need a wood butcher to explain it properly.

Al :)

adam01
23rd April 2007, 09:56 PM
yeah, I'll maybe hop across to the general woodwork forum and see if I can pick their brains too. Thanks again.