PDA

View Full Version : Another bathroom reno being done (retro style)

peter_sm
6th March 2007, 11:27 PM
Our house is 50's. The bathroom on the back was an extension in the 80's.

It has been stripped right back to framework. I have removed window at side of room, restudded hole and cut and put a new awning window in back wall.

I have put new cement sheet floor underlay, fitted new bath, fitted shower base, replumbed all walls with new copper, silver soldered joins, all done to code. I have rewired and had connections done by licenced electrician before wall coverings.

I have fitted Linoleum tiles to floor in a charcoal and grey chequed pattern. I have fitted Villaboard to all walls and plastered all joins.

It is all feeling good and I can't wait to get stuck into the tiling next.

Honorary Bloke
6th March 2007, 11:55 PM
:worthless:

peter_sm
7th March 2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry, just excited at the moment. Lets see now!

:worthless:

peter_sm
7th March 2007, 06:58 PM
before

peter_sm
7th March 2007, 09:40 PM
Wrecking

peter_sm
7th March 2007, 09:41 PM
Building

peter_sm
7th March 2007, 09:43 PM
More

peter_sm
7th March 2007, 09:47 PM
I will get a better pic of the lino tiles once the dust is vacuumed up.

The hole in the wall on the left is for the vanity cabinet recessed into the wall.

The bath is classic style steel ceramic glazed, to fit with the 50's theme.

The basin will be early 50's cast iron pedestall.

Taps are all classic 50's style.

Toilet to be basic old style with black seat.

The only modern look item will be the semi framless shower.

tameriska
7th March 2007, 10:31 PM
Looks like your bathroom is bigger than mine :) (same layout though)

Didn't realize that you could still get ceramic glazed bathtubs, reckon that they are way better than the acrylic.

Honorary Bloke
7th March 2007, 10:41 PM
Looking good Peter. :2tsup: Putting in that window was a great idea. :)

peter_sm
18th March 2007, 12:03 PM
Latest update on where I am at.

I have done all of the tiling

peter_sm
18th March 2007, 12:05 PM
Grouting and sealing done, ready for shower screen to be fitted next week. We are getting a perimeter frame shower glass custom made.

RufflyRustic
18th March 2007, 02:23 PM
Your bathroom's coming along really nicely Peter. I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks when finished.

cheers
Wendy

snickells
3rd April 2007, 10:53 PM
ace work, cant wait to see it finished.

peter_sm
4th April 2007, 12:46 AM
The cistern is an old Brent brass pressing unit.

I have got the cistern at work, and have redone a leaking solder join on the bottom, and repaired and primed ready to rub down and repaint in 2 pak.

I have sent the chrome button and ring off to get re - chrome plated.

It is modified so that when you press the button to flush, it stops as soon as you take your finger off, rather than a full dump of the entire 13 or whatever litres it holds.

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 10:18 PM
Here are the pics of the bathroom finally finished

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 10:26 PM
Pics from various angles

The toilet seat was the hardest to find. It is original 50's. They still make them new, $166

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 10:31 PM
We spent a fair bit of time deliberating over position of facilities.

The window had only one outside wall to be on

The shower had only one corner to be in

The bath really could only be below the window.

The toilet I was not having next to the bath. I cannot relax in a bath with a pan next to me.

We are a strict seat and lid down house, so the toilet is not too bad eh?

When we build the back extension there will be a second toilet that will be 'outside' use, not ensuite style.

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 10:33 PM
Closeup of the lights

martrix
4th September 2007, 10:37 PM
pretty cool Peter.:cool: Those side mirrors and lights on the medicine cabinet actually look quite good too, your wife must be well pleased. Are you going to put a bead around the cabinet to seal it against the wall?

Congratulations on actually getting it done.

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 10:38 PM
I did the laundry at the same time, and the pantry extension.

They are not quite finished, just a small bit of painting.

The kitchen is still to come.

Pic 1 is as you walked towards the laundry, with dunny on right
Pic 2 is in the laundry
Pic 3 is other side of LH wall of laundry, being the RH wall of kitchen in this pic

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 10:45 PM
This is the laundry and pantry almost finished now

Pic 1 shows the trough and the linoleum tiles, same as bathroom
Pic 2 shows the laundry cupboards. A real bonus as there were none before
Pic 3 shows the tiling behind the trough
Pic 4 shows the wall that was the LH wall of the original laundry, and was also the RH wall of the kitchen. The wall section you can see in the RH of this shot is basically the back of the new laundry cupboards. There is a new cavity slider on the LH side of this opening, and the fridge is recessed into the RH side. The pantry is inside this small room which is about 2 x 2 metres. With the fridge recessed in, the upright freezer inside, and the hot water service inside, it is reduced to 2/3 of the total room size.

The opening in the wall had a 240mm F17KDHW lintel fitted above.

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 10:55 PM
Now in the whole process, I totally replumbed, rewired, fitted windows, wall studs fitted as required, replastered, put down tile underlay, retiled, fitted all fittings, hobs, bath, doors, 1 new wall, assembled everything, painted everything etc all myself.

The only external contractors were the electrician who did the screws for connections, the linoleum tile layers, the cabinet maker for cupboards and the shower screen fitter.

Total cost to do all this including using all brand name Australian made fittings (except a 2/H cistern and pedestal basin), Australian made products (except linoleum), materials and contractors. I have added it up as $18K conservatively, so maybe $19K including forgotten small bits

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 11:00 PM
:doh:

I have to laugh. You have picked the only small item that still has to go on. I have the bead, just have to paint and fit it.

The wife has pretty much designed it all. She wanted the side lights to help with preening.

We got the medicine cabinet made old style with the door in the middle with two side infills. I like this style too, as a cabinet with two doors having a join in the middle is real irritating, plus you can hide things around the sides. Did you know 40% of people at a party will look in the hosts medicine cabinet.

The shower screen is certainly not retro, but it is unobtrusive, and fits in well.

pretty cool Peter.:cool: Those side mirrors and lights on the medicine cabinet actually look quite good too, your wife must be well pleased. Are you going to put a bead around the cabinet to seal it against the wall?

Congratulations on actually getting it done.

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 11:01 PM
Another small modern thing we did was to fit pop up plugs in the basin and bath.

peter_sm
4th September 2007, 11:04 PM
Did you notice the toilet roll holder. Suction cap jobbie. So easy to fit, and solved the problem of not having a wall to hang the spool off.

Howards storage world have a heap of suction cap fittings for bathrooms. Great if you are in a rental and want extra towel rails or soap holders.