PDA

View Full Version : Merbau deck timber colour

dan76n
4th March 2007, 02:40 PM
Hi all,
Im just finishing off my Merbau Decking and have found my last piece is a completely different shade to the rest of my decking, why is this and is there anything i can do to fix this as the rest of the deck blends in really well. I have attached a photo to show the difference.
Thanks.

Dusty
4th March 2007, 04:02 PM
Timber, as a natural product, varies considerably within each species.

Just simply remove and replace the offending stick with a new darker piece.

soundman
4th March 2007, 10:55 PM
The odd piece is probably clean and fresh and by some accident of fate hasn't beed exposed to the same things as the other pieces.
merbau/ kwila bleeds like the devil..... thats the colour we see most of the time.

Ge a scrap of left over and give it a good planing or sanding till you see fresh material you will need to remove at least 2mm..... it will be very different to an exposed piece.
No take your nice freshly planed piece and water it..... leave it a day, possibly less...... now you will understand.

give the odd board a watering & see if that fixes things

cheers

UteMad
5th March 2007, 09:39 AM
Sorry it happened mate but thats just part of a natural resource ie Timber...

Best bet is if it worries you is to just get another piece ..... Surely you didn't make it to the end with exactly the right amount.... If so i might have a job for you ordering our decking LOL

Cheers Ute Mad

silentC
5th March 2007, 09:50 AM
It will look the same as the others soon enough.

I had such a huge variation of colours in the merbau I used for my decks, from light tan right through to purple. The weird thing is, I ran some through the thicknesser yesterday to make some battens for my gables and they all came out the same colour as that board of yours. Didn't matter what colour they went in, that's what colour they came out.

groovemachine
5th March 2007, 01:30 PM
Dan,

Just a quick question with your deck, how did you build up from the ground?

just looking at your pic the ground is pretty close.:)

dan76n
5th March 2007, 09:30 PM
I used Aluminium posts 600mm deep into the ground, the deck top is about 600mm from the ground aswell, bearers are 70x100 hardwood and joists are 45x90 treated pine.

groovemachine
5th March 2007, 10:34 PM
I used Aluminium posts 600mm deep into the ground, the deck top is about 600mm from the ground aswell, bearers are 70x100 hardwood and joists are 45x90 treated pine.

Cheers mate.:2tsup:

charmaine
15th March 2007, 01:32 PM
Hi,

I believe that the reason in the lighter colour of that particular piece of timber is that it was cut from sapwood. (the softer part of the wood between the inner bark and the heartwood).
It is merbau, and most likely you can stain it to the darker colour.

Cheers,
charmaine