PDA

View Full Version : Glass in kitchen doors

eemgee
28th February 2007, 09:20 PM
I have 5 overhead kitchen cupboard doors in a colonial design which need the glass to be put in, what I would like to know is how to hold the glass in place? Each door has 6 panes of glass which means 30 sheets have to be supported.
The doors are made from 16mm MDF board with a plastic vacuum finish and have a 10mm x 10mm rabbet for the glass on the rear side.
Is there something like a clip that could be used to hold the glass on all its edges & is suitable for MDF board or should I use silicone and a small piece of hardwood strip to support the glass as the strip would only be about 4mm thick after taking into consideration the 3mm glass & possibly 3mm of silicone?

boban
28th February 2007, 09:57 PM
Silicone alone will hold them in place.

Cabbie
28th February 2007, 10:42 PM
What Boban said :) just be sure not to use too much and let it cure for around 24hrs. You can let it cure for less if ya want, I just prefer a lttle lnger to make sure i sets properly. Don't forget to make sure the surfaces yu are sticking to are dry and clean too.

eemgee
1st March 2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks Boban & Cabbie.
Does the silicone go on both sides or just place the glass in position and then the silicone?
Sorry for the question but when it comes to glass I'm a bit of a novice.

Cabbie
1st March 2007, 11:21 PM
No stupid questions mate just run a neat line along each edge of the rebate on the door and then fit the glass in. It might squelch out the sides a bit so after u have placed the glass in the door a damp rag will help clean it up. Dont use oo much water. Then u can go over it with a dry rag to dry it off a bit. You could let it cure then get a razor and clean te silicone out that way too. Dont worry too much if u get a bit of silicone on the glass it can be scraped off with a piece of timber or plastic or if you are careful a razor when it is dry. Silicone can get real messy so remember you don't need much to stick it down as it will spread when you put the glass in place. All ya really need is a bead of silicone run up the edges probably around 2-3mm thickand do it in a quick sweeping motion. Don't try and do splotches everwhere otherwise u will have a mess and don't worry if u get a bit of a gap between the silicone as you are applying it you can either run a bead to join it up or you can leave it and it can spread out anyway if the gap aint too big. I hope I didnt confse you too much mate. :)

eemgee
4th March 2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks Cabbie,
I now know where I'm heading with the cabinet glass.
You've given me the knowledge that doesn't seem to be in any books that I have.
Thanks a lot