PDA

View Full Version : Hanging single curtain in place of door: What can I use? Need ideas.

makka619
22nd February 2007, 10:54 AM
This is for a small flat, and instead of putting internal doors up, I want to hang a curtain. How do I make something to hang them from?

Any ideas.

Or is there something on the market designed for this purpose?

I want to hang a curtain like one of these :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/curtains.jpg

In place of doors to bedroom and bathroom:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/7.jpg

masoth
22nd February 2007, 12:34 PM
I have no suggestion of 'what' to use but remind you that whatever is used will become grimy from constant handling so cleaning will be a problem.
The material will need to be rather heavy to give a sense of privacy.
Perhaps a sectional curtain (like you illustrated) will work so that a different leading edge can be in place after each cleaning, which would make for a longer life of the entire curtain.

soth

celeste
22nd February 2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Makka619

Is this for a rental?

curtains - a bit yukky

try

- folding doors the heavy plastic kind or
- 1 I have used on a bathroom doorway, is 2 narrow doors hinged together so they fold - bifolds
- the bedroom - you can put a sliding door.

Bedrooms need privacy and a little sound proofing.

Anyway you can get those type of curtains from spotlight / target / ikea / freedom etc

Celeste

echnidna
22nd February 2007, 06:31 PM
so does the main bedroom

makka619
22nd February 2007, 06:39 PM
Hi Makka619

Is this for a rental?

curtains - a bit yukky

try

- folding doors the heavy plastic kind or
- 1 I have used on a bathroom doorway, is 2 narrow doors hinged together so they fold - bifolds
- the bedroom - you can put a sliding door.

Bedrooms need privacy and a little sound proofing.

Anyway you can get those type of curtains from spotlight / target / ikea / freedom etc

Celeste

The bedroom is super small which is why I thought hanging something could help to make it feel a bit bigger.

But yeah thanks, good ideas to think about.

vlv8vic
2nd March 2007, 07:04 PM
get adventurous and whack in a couple of cavity sliders. well worth the effort if its the effort you are willing to go to.

makka619
18th June 2007, 02:13 AM
ohh i like, cavity sliders look nice.

Can it be done with the metal door frame still there?

Who'd I call to get this done?

vlv8vic
18th June 2007, 09:53 PM
I wouldnt think so given the plan that one side of the frame is effectively sliced for the door to slide through. Bunnies sell the set-up almost ready to go at a pretty reasonable price. i built one of mine from scratch and it would have been more time effective to buy the frame.
I can't see pics anymore but is it brick or what? put a couple of pics of where you want it and i might be of more help.

Usually means moving a couplf studs and putting a larger plank across the top (i re-used one of the studs for this) then wack it all in and replace the plaster. i got away with only wrecking one side of the wall so i didnt have to replace plaster in two rooms.

makka619
22nd July 2007, 04:05 PM
Hey vlv8vic, sorry i took so long to log in again..

thanks so much for your help, here is a pic of the door,( i'll see if I can find some more):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/green3.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/?action=view&current=green3.jpg

They are brick walls that have been plaster-boarded.

Capt. Zero
22nd July 2007, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine once used strips of old carpeting. Worked pretty well, if you're on a tight budget.

"They came from all corners. From the White Trash mountains of West Virginia to the far flung Isles of Langerhan."

vlv8vic
22nd July 2007, 06:44 PM
macca the tiles look great did you do them?
As for your door becoming a cav slider.... it needs as much wall space to hide in as the door is wide. The picture shows not enough space to pull this off unless it slid the other way, which i can't see in the pic. You could mount it against rather than in the wall. Weve done this where i didn't want to gut the wall.

Metung
22nd July 2007, 07:30 PM
Looks like a pretty clever Beagle but will it be able to open a sliding door, particularly an external slider from the oher side? Make sure the door is on the bedroom side of the wall!!

makka619
23rd July 2007, 05:23 AM
macca the tiles look great did you do them?
As for your door becoming a cav slider.... it needs as much wall space to hide in as the door is wide. The picture shows not enough space to pull this off unless it slid the other way, which i can't see in the pic. You could mount it against rather than in the wall. Weve done this where i didn't want to gut the wall.

yeah, I'm pleased with how the tiles turned out in the living/bedroom. I didn't do them.

I can't find any more (good) pictures on the pc that show that area better. I'll need to take some more. I pasted one below but it's not a good view... it's looking into the bedroom showing the opposite wall to the previous pic

On the other side of the first pic, the wall is about double the width of that one. So there would be plenty of room for the door. The only thing is the room is so tiny already, that wall was going to be used for a dresser or something. Once the bed is in, that is the only free wall with enough space around it.

And now I have just read Metung's post, I can't have a door on the external (out) side of the bedroom wall, which is what I was hoping. It's not possible at all?

Plus reading over your post again, I didn't even think (know) of mounting it in the wall... now I see what you mean by cracking the plaster.:B lol
I think that would be way too hard too do... and mounting it externally would be much easier. Are there any cons to mounting it externally?

makka619
23rd July 2007, 05:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/little_bear_81/greencurts.jpg

i'll take some better pics lol

makka619
23rd July 2007, 05:29 AM
Looks like a pretty clever Beagle but will it be able to open a sliding door, particularly an external slider from the oher side? Make sure the door is on the bedroom side of the wall!!

lol thanks for the laugh. He's pretty smart, I'm sure he'll work a way around it, even if that means chewing he's way through. no joke.

Why does the door need to be on the bedroom side of wall?
I was hoping I could put mount the door on the outside of the bedroom wall.:(

Honorary Bloke
23rd July 2007, 07:01 AM
lol thanks for the laugh. He's pretty smart, I'm sure he'll work a way around it, even if that means chewing he's way through. no joke.

Why does the door need to be on the bedroom side of wall?
I was hoping I could put mount the door on the outside of the bedroom wall.:(

I think he's having a lend. :wink: Mount it either side where it will work.

Metung
23rd July 2007, 09:37 AM
Just joking about the door. Putting it on the bedroom side makes it harder/impossible for the dog to open if you want to keep him out of the bedroom for any reason. You can put things in front of these doors as long as you leave enough space behind for the door to slide. In fact I am looking at one at this very moment that slides behind my computer desk. I have a spare one of these doors, with track, which you are welcome to if Mount Waverley, Melbourne, isn't too far out of range. I'll be "off the air" for about the next 10 days though so won't be able to respond till then.

makka619
23rd July 2007, 09:39 PM
oh right, haha oops.
:D

I want to put the door outside of the bedroom. Won't it have a lock on it anyway? Or don't they come with locks?

No where near Melb.