PDA

View Full Version : Help! Textured/possible vermiculite ceilings

Nigel2
18th February 2007, 07:44 PM
Hi,

I have recently purchased a townhouse with approx 5 rooms with some type of textured ceiling. It is fairly hard and very uneven. I suspect it might be "popcorn" or "vermiculite" ceiling. All ceilings with this coating are on the ground floor, applied to the concrete slab above. I cannot stand the appearance and want to remove it from sight. I've tried wetting and scraping in a small area, it comes off similar to grainy plaster being scraped (If that makes sense!).

I am open to ideas, such as having a plasterer resurface over it, or having plasterboard over it. Please help me with suggestions on the pros/cons of my options.

rod@plasterbrok
20th February 2007, 01:55 AM
Hi the only real option is to batten out the area and re plaster the ceilings with plasterboard.

There is no point just scraping off the vermiculite, you will just get back to bare concrete.

Perhaps the best way to ensure a level ceiling is to shoot timber at 1200mm centers, then use furring channel with an adjustable direct fixing clip nailed to the side of the timber. You can use cheap mirch grade 75mm x 35mm.

A furring channel wall track can be fixed to both sides of the room on the wall, (rondo part number 140). The furring channel sits in this track eliminating the need for timber down each side. The timber should be spaced at 1200mm centers.

Therefore in a 3.6m wide room you would have the furring channel wall track fixed to the wall on both sides and 2 runs of timber shot to the concrete 1200mm out from each side.

If you have trouble with that let me know and I'll post a diagram for you showing the set out.

The other option is just shoot timber at 600mm centers an fix the plasterboard.

Which ever way you go about it you will need to fix a frame for the plasterboard to the concrete. The first option will give you a flat finish and would not be much more expensive than using all timber. The problem with just shooting on timber is that you have no adjustment for the ceiling level.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Rod Dyson.

Nigel2
25th February 2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. The problem I have is that the ceiling level is currently approx 2.3m high and with the shape of the rooms etc I am concerned that this fix would make the rooms feel smaller, due to the lowered ceiling height. Would it be possible for a plasterer to plaster over the ceiling coating, or would it not bond well?

rod@plasterbrok
1st March 2007, 01:48 PM
No unfortunately you need to have a mechanical fixing.

You can get a clip (rondo pt no 237) coupled with 16mm furing channel, that will help reduce the space lost. Using these clips just make getting the ceiling level just that bit more difficult than the method descibed above.

The clips are fixed to the concrete, (preferably using a metal anchor like a 5mm x 50mm dyna bolt), using a hammer drill. You need to chaulk a line to line up the clips perfectly. You can make adjustments to the height by slipping packers under the clip. The furring channel then just clips into the clip very easy.

This is your best option under the circumstances.

Cheers Rod
Sorry it took so long to get back to you!